Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

do I have a real win 7 disk

• Please log in to reply

joanelaine

joanelaine

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi everyone,

I was getting very frustrated recently because an update from Microsoft would not install, it's a .net framework 4 update. I kept getting a message that it failed to install. I phoned Microsoft and someone there took control of my computer remotely with my permission. The technician (I'm assuming she is a technician), tried a few things then said my system was corrupt. She downloaded a "download manager", then somehow downloaded a file and told me to put a DVD into my drive and burn the file, I think an ISO file. Then she did a repair (she said). when I saw the interface of what was on the disk it looked as though I have a windows 7 operating system disk. I asked her and she said "yes thats what it is". I found it hard to believe because they are expensive to buy and I was not given one when my son bought this computer for me at Christmas last. I had to burn 3 disks as prompted then and assume they are recovery disks. The Microsoft tech had to go because my 5 gig download had run out with all she was doing and my speed slowed to worse than dial up so she had to go and is going to ring me next week on Thursday when she is next available, I have my speed back today. She told me not to download any updates but they seem to be doing that automatically. I have not changed anything she did. I asked her a couple of times if I indeed had a proper windows 7 operating system disk now and she said "yes". I would be very happy if this were the case but I have a feeling it's just a recovery disk. I even asked her if I could use it to reinstall windows 7 if I ever needed to do that and again she said "yes". I can't believe it, as it was so easy to just download it. If it's so easy why don't we know about this. I've been trying to get an XP disk for ages and finally borrowed one and copied it so as to re install my other xp computer. I would be very happy if I had a complete windows 7 operating system disk.
sorry for the long post.
thanks for any help,
Joan.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi Joan,

If you were in fact talking with someone from Microsoft then I would believe what they said. And yes, she probably had you download a copy of Windows 7 in order to run a repair or possible reinstall.

One thing you need to understand is that the disk is just that, a disk. The product key is what's worth "the money" and what you really need to have in order to obtain a GENUINE VALID copy of Windows. The product key is usually located somewhere on the computer, it's a sticker.

Also, locating a Windows XP disk can prove to be a hard task because XP is very old, 10 years old, so Install Disks are hard to find and to my knowledge, XP has never been made available for download, just recently Windows 7 has been made for download via Digital River. Please read this excerpt:

Microsoft typically does not provide official downloads for Windows 7 operating system, neither through HTTP nor through P2P file sharing such as BT (BitTorrent). So how’s the official direct download links of Windows 7 come about?

Various web-based online storefronts and retailers (e.g. Digital River) sell Windows 7 licenses, and to fulfill the orders, the online stores host and provide digital downloads of Windows 7 setup installation files in the form of ISO image, which can then be unpacked and extracted, or used to mount on virtual drive and burnt to a DVD media disc to clean install Windows 7 on a blank PC or upgrade a system from existing operating system

Source: My Digital Life

I think what you have is a "real" copy, but it's not like you can just go and install it on any computer because you can't use the same product key on two computers, so in order to install it on another computer, make sure that computer has a product key for that copy of Windows 7... i.e. Home Premium.

Hope that helps.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The big question is what does the sticker on your system say is the original OS that was installed? If it was Windows 7 then what Microsoft has done is supply you a physical disk of the OS.
Is this a branded system or custom built?
Laptop or desktop?
Is there actually a sticker on the side of the box (desktop) or on the bottom of the system (laptop]) that has the original OS and serial number on it?
PLEASE DO NOT POST AND KEYS FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thank you both for responding. Sorry for not coming back before this, had to mind my little Grandson & he is a handful.
My computer is an Acer e machine (desktop)with 500 gig HDD 2 gig of RAM. There is a sticker on the side of the little tower that says Product key etc. The Microsoft lady said to use that sticker's product key if I ever need to re install Win 7. Somewhere in this computer is an OEM number and that confused me, I can't find it now. I'm still finding my way around this system.

The reason I found it hard to believe that the disk I have burned to DVD is the "real operating system" is because it fits on a DVD which is only 4.7 gigabytes. When I Googled " how much disk space does win 7 use?" the answer is 20 gig available hard disk space (64-bit). I googled that when I first got this computer because I wondered where 20 gigs had gone before I even installed any of my programs.

The Microsoft lady was very difficult understand also because her accent was very strong, that is why I kept asking her if indeed I had a "real operating disk". I think she said I would have to get drivers though if ever I needed to use this disk to reinstall Windows 7, so would that be the extra gigabytes that make up 20 gigabytes?, surely not. I'm confusing myself here (sorry). I've only ever re- installed Windows XP once, and it was a service pack 3 so I didn't have to do anything about drivers, just get all the updates.

So now I just would like to know how a 20 gigabyte operating system fits onto a 4.7 gig., DVD.
sorry to be so dumb about this.

BTW., if I am slow coming back and I don't see any answer posts today, then I will be away from my computer for 2 days after today. I have to go to hospital for surgery tomorrow but should be home in 2 days. I will definately come back to check today though and when I come home from hospital.

Thank you for your help and advice and patience with me.
Regards,
Joan.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Windows 7 does fit on a single DVD. Almost everything on the disc in compressed so when it's expanded during install it takes up a lot more space.

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Wow that was quick response, thank you very much for answering my question. I think I will be good to go if ever I have to re install win 7, hopefully not too soon.
I'm so pleased, can't believe I actually have a proper disk. I'll just be worried about how to get the drivers but I'll face that when and if I ever have to do it. Maybe by then I will know more.
thank you again,
Regards,
joan.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The drivers should be easy. Windows 7 is about as Driver complete as an operating system can be so it's quite likely you will not have to do anything, especially after you do your first Windows Update after doing a reinstall.

If it becomes necessary, go to the eMachnes (owned by Gateway) web site, find your specific model and download any needed drivers.

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thank you very much for that information, much appreciated.
Joan