Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Shuts Down After 30 Seconds HELP

• Please log in to reply

MikeCorruption

MikeCorruption

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey guys,

Firstly i would just like to point out that im not a novice with computers due to it being my career but i feel this great forum is my last hope before i sell this laptop for Spares and Repairs, ill start from the beginning.

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5535 and it has Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit OS installed upon it, well last night i was simply on the laptop searching the web, not doing a great deal just some eBaying and general web searching, then i got a UAC alert and it said "Windows Command Processor" instantly i had never seen this UAC command before in my life so i thought to myself "Hmm this is clearly a type of malware/virus" so i clicked cancel on the UAC, then it appeared again and again and again, no matter how many times i clicked cancel it appeared again, then my AVG Anti Virus detected a Virus and kept saying it was moved to the vault over and over, so i thought right i will boot my system down and reboot into Safe Mode and perform a malware scan, well as soon as i rebooted the system it shut down half way through of the "Loading Drivers and Files" screen during the start up of Safe Mode, i tried Safe Mode with Networking and Command Prompt too, same problem, so i thought perhaps it has overheated, i left it 12 hours and tried again, still same problem, i then cleaned the CPU and HEatsink and reapplied thermal paste etc and still same problem, so i removed the harddrive from the laptop to check if it was due to that, it boots up and then crashes after 30 seconds.

You could read into this and think Hardware fault, but my question to that would be Why has it only just started happening? my laptop was fine until that "Windows Command Processor" UAC possible malware bug appeared?

Any help would be extremely appreciated

Thanks

UPDATE: I am able to get the laptop to stay on only when ive removed both RAM chips from the motherboard, which is of course not that useful

it seems that when booted up the fan started really fast and is appearing to operate on full throttle, i have had an over heating problem before but this was solved with thermal paste and again ive replaced the thermal paste again on the CPU

Edited by MikeCorruption, 10 March 2012 - 09:57 AM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi MikeCorruption,

Try running from a live CD like Puppy Linux. If you are able to run in this mode, we can clearly determine that the issue lays with the hard drive, possibly a virus, or bad/faulty hard drive because Puppy Linux runs from the CD and RAM, excluding the hard drive.

If you can't run from a live cd, then we can say the culprit is a more serious issue like overheated or faulty motherboard, etc. Another thing to try if you can't run from the live CD is attempt again with only one stick of RAM installed, and try again with the other stick of RAM installed if the first attempt fails.

I recommend Lucid Puppy (Download version 5.2.8 from ibiblio.org: Get lupu-528.004.iso) HERE
Since you are not a novice, I assume you know how to burn the ISO, and boot to the CD. Let me know if you need any help doing that though.

Let me know how it goes and we can go from there. :thumbsup:

MikeCorruption

MikeCorruption

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ive removed my hard drive and done as you say and it again does the whole shut down process, i again have done the RAM check too.

I have noticed that within 10 seconds of the laptop switched on that the Fan will go super fast and sound like a jet engine, so i am thinking that the CPU is at fault? i am not to sure but can a virus alter the CPU and how it operates?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
No, a virus can't alter that. I would recheck that you have the heatsink mounted correctly onto the cpu with just a very small amount of thermal paste. The symptoms you are describing sound identical to a overheating problem. Make sure there is no dust between where the fan blows onto the heatsink as well.

A virus would not be able to do anything with the hard drive removed. This is definitely a hardware problem and I think a thermal issue.