Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys SPA2102 Questions

• Please log in to reply

Philip Tilson

Philip Tilson

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Two quick questions concerning the Linksys SPA2102.

I have been using one of these units for a year or so and am very happy with it. However, it is currently running firmware v3.3.6 while the latest version is v5.2.12. Should I follow the principle of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" or are there features or improvements in the intervening upgrades that would make it worthwhile upgrading this firmware?

Second question: when I am on a call, if someone calls my number, they do NOT get a busy tone, they just get silence. I, on the other hand, get a call waiting tone in my phone - but how can I put the current call on hold and switch to the second call? I have tried the recall button but nothing happens. I have looked in the manual (well, I've tried wading through the 271 pages of it!) but can't find anything to help.

Any ideas, fellow geeks?

Phil

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello there and Welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

Should I follow the principle of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" or are there features or improvements in the intervening upgrades that would make it worthwhile upgrading this firmware?

I personally go for the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it", but that's probably because I am too lazy to update them all :P
However, Firmware upgrades are there for a reason and it definitely doesn't hurt to upgrade the firmware as long as you do it properly :)

Second question: when I am on a call, if someone calls my number, they do NOT get a busy tone, they just get silence. I, on the other hand, get a call waiting tone in my phone - but how can I put the current call on hold and switch to the second call? I have tried the recall button but nothing happens. I have looked in the manual (well, I've tried wading through the 271 pages of it!) but can't find anything to help.

Waiting calls are generally an option you can turn off on either the phone or on the box.
What phone model do you have? Perhaps I can find something about waiting calls.

Regards,
Olrik

Philip Tilson

Philip Tilson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'll have a careful look at the upgrading process before I take the plunge! :thumbsup:

The SPA2102 just uses ordinary telephone handsets - nothing special. I am sure there must be a way to do this as otherwise there wouldn't be much point in giving me a call waiting tone! I did try contacting Linksys (Cisco) support, but they were about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Any ideas welcomed! :wacko:

Phil

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Just letting you know I am still looking. Don't have too much time to dig for stuff at the moment though.

Have you tried the firmware upgrade yet?

Regards,
Olrik

Philip Tilson

Philip Tilson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, Olric!

No - I have decided to wait and see if I can find out whether I can switch to a second call, rather than risk losing everything else that works fine!

Phil