Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Referenced memory error OXfba711@c

• Please log in to reply

flutterybys

flutterybys

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi i'm new to Geeks to Go and frankly this technical stuff is giving me a huge headache. On to the problem:

Yesterday I came home to a screen that said "unable to locate disc click CTRL ALT Delete to continue" which I did and my computer then proceed to boot up but got stock on the detecting storage devices screen so I had to hard boot. It then gave me the option to start in safe mode, which I did and promptly got the error message

Referenced memory error OXfba711@c referenced memory at 0x00000060 could not be read to be honest the ampersand could be an e rather than the @

when I clicked out of that I got blue screen, hard booted again go the option again to start in safe mode which I did and it got a fill line at bottom of screen saying "windows is loading files" then a pop up window that reads "Start Up Repair" next line "your computer was unable to start Startup repair is checking your system for problems..." Next line If problems are found startup repair will fix them automatically, your system may reboot several times during this procedure."

Then a window pops up that is also titled Startup repair and then asks do you want to restore your computer using system restore? Startup repair can attempt to restore your computer to an earlier point in time when it worked correctly" (heck ya that would be great!!!) I click restore and begin to pray.... "attempting repairs" (nope you're screwed try one of the following options - sorry just freaking out back to business) it gave me a list of things to try such as open a c: prompt , restore to earlier point manually, use start uprepair to automatically fix but it would not accept any attempts and after third option was click PC just shut down and here I am.

Is this fatal or can it be fixed? Thank you for reading and any help appreciate it

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi flutterybys ... :wave: ..:welcome:
can you boot into safe mode...
you can do that by tapping the F8 key about once per second as soon as you power up the computer...
if so select cmd mode...then at the prompt type in chkdsk /r and press enter
this can take a long time but it is neccessary to make sure there are no bad sectors on the hard drive...
it may appear to hang at a certain % or even backup and go over the same spot...let it run at least 2 hours after it appears to hang
it usually will complete unless you shut the computer off...
when its done reboot and see if the issue is gone...

FYI...your username is what my kids called butterflies when they were young... :lol: