Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA3 problems?

• Please log in to reply

Formido

Formido

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I'm ready to pick motherboard for custom-build. Problem is all the older boards I want are discontinued at Newegg, etc., while newer boards only seem to have SATA3 connectors.
My questions are:
1. Will SATA3 be a problem for XP Pro & Ubuntu-based distros (like LinuxMint or Ultimate Edition)?
2. Will SATA2 devices work okay on SATA3 connectors?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

1. Will SATA3 be a problem for XP Pro & Ubuntu-based distros (like LinuxMint or Ultimate Edition)?

No problem what so ever.

Will SATA2 devices work okay on SATA3 connectors?

Yes,

http://www.sata-io.o...0-FAQ-FINAL.pdf

Correct naming for SATA (and I am as guilty as the next for incorrect terminology)

http://www.sata-io.o..._guidelines.asp

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hello,

1) SATA3 should not be a problem with XP Pro however you might need to install using the drivers (Press F6 when booting off the XP install disc). I am not 100% sure Ubuntu based distros. While we do have a Linux section here you might be better off researching the Ubuntu forums.

2) Yes they are intercompatible.

Cheers

EDIT: Sorry I should have refreshed before replying, seems iammykyl beat me to it. :spoton:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Only I am allowed to post without refreshing, Posted Image

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Troy's Post has better advise, re. XP Pro, Ubuntu.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Is there a compelling reason you are sticking with an operating system that was designed over 10 years ago to support hardware and software from 10 years before that? No doubt XP eventually turned out to be a great OS, but today it is antiquated, and most importantly, lacks security compared to Windows 7, which is designed to carry you forward, not back.

Formido

Formido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

No problem what so ever.

Will SATA2 devices work okay on SATA3 connectors?

Yes,

http://www.sata-io.o...0-FAQ-FINAL.pdf

Correct naming for SATA (and I am as guilty as the next for incorrect terminology)

http://www.sata-io.o..._guidelines.asp

Great news. Thanks for the info!

Formido

Formido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Is there a compelling reason you are sticking with an operating system that was designed over 10 years ago to support hardware and software from 10 years before that? No doubt XP eventually turned out to be a great OS, but today it is antiquated, and most importantly, lacks security compared to Windows 7, which is designed to carry you forward, not back.

I taught myself to use internet on library computers couple years ago, hence I'm fairly skilled with XP Pro by now. When Vista invaded the copy shops' computers (I used to rent by the hour for more than the one hour alloted at libraries), I made some effort to teach myself it. Had some success, but find it about twice as irritating as XP Pro. With Windows 7, I made much greater effort, and failed totally! Its the worst piece of....well, lets just say I ain't a fan. From XP Pro I move on to Linux, but until I can teach myself Linux, XP Pro will do!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for your update.

Good luck with your build.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I taught myself to use internet on library computers couple years ago, hence I'm fairly skilled with XP Pro by now. When Vista invaded the copy shops' computers (I used to rent by the hour for more than the one hour alloted at libraries), I made some effort to teach myself it. Had some success, but find it about twice as irritating as XP Pro. With Windows 7, I made much greater effort, and failed totally! Its the worst piece of....well, lets just say I ain't a fan. From XP Pro I move on to Linux, but until I can teach myself Linux, XP Pro will do!

Well, I understand the frustration. I never migrated to Vista because I thought it was poorly implemented - and it was. But Windows 7 is what Vista should have been. And really, it simply boils down to getting used to something new. Now that I have used Windows 7 almost exclusively for over 2 years, whenever I see an XP machine, it "feels" old and clunky - because it is.

It is important to note that XP was designed with security as an afterthought. Windows 7 was designed with security first and foremost. It is too bad that badguys put us in this security mess, but it is good Microsoft has [finally] taken the lead in protecting us from them. For that reason alone, XP needs to fade away and all users need to get with the time. Antique cars are neat, but we just cannot, and should not expect them to protect us and our families like a modern car can.

It is also important to note that many hardware makers no longer support XP (or 64-bit) so you may be limiting your options. If you don't like Windows 7, then go with one of the current Linux alternatives. But I would urge you to drop XP as soon as possible.

Formido

Formido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Well, I understand the frustration. I never migrated to Vista because I thought it was poorly implemented - and it was. But Windows 7 is what Vista should have been. And really, it simply boils down to getting used to something new. Now that I have used Windows 7 almost exclusively for over 2 years, whenever I see an XP machine, it "feels" old and clunky - because it is.

It is important to note that XP was designed with security as an afterthought. Windows 7 was designed with security first and foremost. It is too bad that badguys put us in this security mess, but it is good Microsoft has [finally] taken the lead in protecting us from them. For that reason alone, XP needs to fade away and all users need to get with the time. Antique cars are neat, but we just cannot, and should not expect them to protect us and our families like a modern car can.

It is also important to note that many hardware makers no longer support XP (or 64-bit) so you may be limiting your options. If you don't like Windows 7, then go with one of the current Linux alternatives. But I would urge you to drop XP as soon as possible.

Well, I'd say where Win7 is concerned, there's three camps. Them that love it. Them that hate it. Them that reluctantly tolerate it. If I had to choose between Vista and Windows 7, I'd go Vista....at least I can sorta use it. After study of at least five instructional manuals, many hours spent renting copy shop computers, and one adult night school course in Win7 basics, you wanna know the result? I can find the cleverly hidden 'File Edit View' toolbar, and access 'Internet'. That's all I got to show for all my wasted time, effort, and money. In short, it took twice as much as it took for Vista, and returned a fraction of the end result...while Vista took twice the effort as XP Pro, and returned maybe half the result. Like I said, I'm not a fan of either, and when Billie starts herding his flock to Win 8, I will not be there (I'll not even try it out). Yep, my mind is closed to Microsoft now.

Well, I've researched Microsoft in detail, especially the operating systems as far back as Win 98. Everything I see suggests each and every OS version was "designed with security as an afterthought." The modus operandi has always been the same. Win 98 is unleased amid trumpets and fanfare, touted as oh so secure, and having everything anyone could ever want. Then cometh the hackers'n'crackers to rain on poor Billie's parade. Enter the service packs, pseudo-patches, faux-fixes, etc., until the next OS version is hurried into release, and the process repeats itself like a proverbial time-loop! Same with Win 2000, same with XP Pro, Vista, and now Win7. Already the SP1 and Updates has begun, but thats okay cause (surprise!surprise!) Win8 is nearing release. I'd be willing to bet that within two or three years Win8 will follow the same pattern as all the others. If security is your goal, never expect Microsoft to deliver...unless you are one of the deep pocket clients (all of Microsoft's security efforts seem to go towards making DRM, HDCP, etc., as bulletproof as possible) and now I see Billie is even starting to fail his beloved Entertainment Industry clientele, as I hear the HDCP master key is leaked. Still, whenever the crackers attack one of his OS versions, its the DRM crapola that seems to go unchallenged the longest.

Anyway, I'll be converting to Linux eventually. Until then, a stripped-down custom install of XP Pro will do all I need doing. And sorry for the overlong rant!