Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

Michael Cole

Michael Cole

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have a gigabyte mobo ga-ma785gm-us2h 1.0 and currently have a athlon 64 cpu...i bought a phenom 2 980 be and would like to use it , i checked the site for support and it is not listed though the 975be is supported....can i still use this cpu on my board?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi Michael and :welcome:

My guess is the CPU will work just fine. In any rate, I don't believe the CPU or motherboard will be damaged if you give it a test run. That said, you could send a note to Gigabyte to be sure. You might have to update your BIOS.

Michael Cole

Michael Cole

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
they told me to use a supported cpu.....so now i either use it and take a chance or i got to buy another mother board.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well the problem with a new motherboard is for OEM software licensing, a new motherboard is considered a new computer - which usually means you will need to buy a new Windows license.

they told me to use a supported cpu.....

:( That sounds like a canned response from someone just reading from a script. It would have been better if they simply said, "No. It is nto compatible."

Again, I feel confident no harm would come for trying, but - it is not my money involved here either.

Michael Cole

Michael Cole

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok ill give it a try as i dont really want to buy another operating system...thanks!