Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I set up Access Points in a motel?

• Please log in to reply

FCCAGut

FCCAGut

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I haven't been on here lately so I decided to come back and ask a question of a project I've been doing for a couple days now.

I have to set up 12 ap's in a motel and we got them having their own IP's (192.168.1.9, 192.168.1.10, and so on and so forth.) The problem is after it works for a few days, something happens and it suddenly stops working, all of the access points stop working. These access points are connected to a switch which connects to the router and I plug my laptop directly into the switch and lots of times it doesn't work and says there's a network error, and it works for a while after I disconnect certain access points from the switch, there's both PoE's and non-PoE's. I connect to the back of the router (it's one of those cable modem/router 2 in 1's) and it always works. I tried putting a router to the back and that's set up the same was as the ap's, except that doesn't work either, but any computer connected directly to it works just fine. I tried setting up a DHCP on each of the access points and it just waits to connect, even though it's on full bars. Some wireless devices don't even see the access points while others do. I think it's an IP assignment error but I don't know what to look at first. I thought about connecting the switch directly to my computer and have it broadcast on wifi and run a program like wireshark to see if the access points were really working and see which one's weren't, and even do them one by one to see if the configurations were ok. The craziest thing is the cable modem/router they use, I called the ISP and they said they can't give out the login info to actually check to see what's going on, I find that ridiculous, specially in a business when you gotta wait for them to understand what you are trying to say on customer support but that's another story...

Anyone got any ideas? Or was more detail needed?

Edited by FCCAGut, 13 March 2012 - 05:28 AM.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Can you you draw us a logical network topology with all the IP addresses written down so that we can start diagnosing it from the start?

Regards,
Olrik

FCCAGut

FCCAGut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Access Point IP's:

They connect to a switch to the main router. I have a Cisco connected to the router and that works, thats my backup wifi and it's located in the lobby for this very reason. I included a picture to look at (it looked like that when I got there, I just rearranged things). There's the PoE box thing (it's black) and that connects to the switch. I'm in need of desperate help here.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo.JPG

Edited by FCCAGut, 13 March 2012 - 08:44 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I've been going over this issue in my head a few times and something popped up.

You said;

and it works for a while after I disconnect certain access points from the switch

Is it ALWAYS the same access points you have to disconnect before it starts working again?

Regards,
Olrik