Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade or new build?

• Please log in to reply

NKGuy

NKGuy

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

64, yes, sorry.

Case has 4 fans all stock did not add any. Never any heat management issues, I don't OC.

Have you decided on just upgrading your CPU and GPU? Or going for a CPU, GPU, MOBO upgrade?

Advertisements

Signal5

Signal5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

64, yes, sorry.

Case has 4 fans all stock did not add any. Never any heat management issues, I don't OC.

Have you decided on just upgrading your CPU and GPU? Or going for a CPU, GPU, MOBO upgrade?

That's where I a m stuck. The GPU needs to be upgraded one way or another but I don't know if I should simply upgrade the CPU and ride out this current rig for another year or so or if a full rebuild is in order.

NKGuy

NKGuy

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

64, yes, sorry.

That's where I a m stuck. The GPU needs to be upgraded one way or another but I don't know if I should simply upgrade the CPU and ride out this current rig for another year or so or if a full rebuild is in order.

The CPU should just be upgraded as well, do you like intel or amd?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
[quote][

I don't do a ton of gaming but when I do, I like to have decent performance and settings. I'm not looking to play BF3 on Ultra and get 80 FPS but I don't want to have to turn the settings on games to low and 800x600 just to have a decent frame rate.

/quote]
Keeping that in mind, this is what I would do.

Upgrade only the GPU and go no higher than (1 first choice) http://community.fut...n HD 6950/games
(2 second choice) http://community.fut...60 Ti 448/games

Your other hardware is more than capable of keeping up with those cards. I would backup any DATA i wanted, perform a clean install of the OS giving you a *new PC*
You can play about on the above site getting other details.

General consensus on the WEB is that AMD will put a lot less effort into the top end CPU market. I would wait until next year, or even 18 months before looking again at a rebuild.