Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless internet wont connect or stay connected

• Please log in to reply

LiliaJ

LiliaJ

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have just reformatted one of my computers with Windows XP Pro. I am trying to connect to the internet wirelessly with a (Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps USB 2.0) network adapter, which was what I was using befor I reformatted. I down loaded the proper driver and transferred it to the computer in question with a flashdrive. The adapter is working properly according to Device Manager.

The computer finds my network and connects for a few seconds and then disconnects continuously. I have several devices running off the same network, some of which are in close proximity to the computer with the probable, and they all run fine.

After installing the Realtek driver I could not renew my IP address. I shutoff the router and modem, and turned them back on, that didn't work. I then went into Internet Protocol Properties and switched "obtain DNS" to automatic (a suggestion I found online), that didn't work either. Going into the Command Prompt I tried ipconfig/renew, and that didn't work.

Finally I obtained the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway from one of my other computers, and manually punched them into the other computer. This brings me to where I am now, the connection flashing on and off. I have disconnected all other devices from the internet and shutoff and turned on the router and modem again with no luck. Going into the Command Prompt the "ipconfig" is the same as on my functioning computer.

One thing it might be is that when I entered the IP address manually in the Internet Protocol Properties it switched "Obtain DNS" from auto to manual, and I left it blank because I don't know what's supposed to go there.

My other computers are set to Obtain the IP and DNS automatically, and I would like this computer to be that way as while, but any way I can get it to work would make me happy. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

-computer is a dell about 7 years old
-Windows XP Pro 2002, SP2
-Intel, Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz, 512MB

Edited by LiliaJ, 18 March 2012 - 04:39 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Where did you get the driver from, what version is it?

I found this one (2007-06-01) on cnet.com

RTL8187B.jpg

Lindah

Lindah

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey L, I also have a Dell about the same age; Realtek Modem/Router different model on my main computer; Linksys adapter on the Dell. I appreciate your frustration cause I'm in the same boat.I did the ipconfig renew..., copied info from working computer. Still cannot get ie without an ip address. I had internet and saw I needed to update my Norton 2012. After the update, nada! We had paid good money for someone to link up the wireless modem and the adapter cause we tried for hours to get the wizard to connect and it wouldn't. I just want to say thanks cause I'm so frustrated and it sounds like your situation is similar.
I need to add memory and it will cost less than the wireless setup did. I'm not stupid, just ingnorant.(And frustrated!)

LiliaJ

LiliaJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay, I've got this problem fixed. Turns out I did get the right driver (I think it was the Ztruker pointed out, same site for sure), the problem was the pass key had been changed. I never even thought about it because I assumed if I had entered the wrong one it notify me. Only reason I caught on was I tried to connect another system the other day, and when that one didn't work I knew it was meand not the computer. After double checking everything I found the new pass key, and everythings working great now. Thank you.