Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet not working tcp/ip errors & other device manager errors

• Please log in to reply

gho

gho

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
All of the problems started when I downloaded superantispiware and ran it on my other computer. Since then I have not been able to get on the internet on that computer. I have gone all over the net for days trying different options people said that would repair the internet problems with no success. Finally I gave up and just did a total reinstall of windows XP on my Dimension 4700C. They said this fixed the problems well it didn't. I did a little more reading and now it seems like i'm missing drivers and they recommend going to the dell site and downloading a network card installation. A little hard when you can't access the internet...

When I try to repair my 1394 connection I get a failed to query tcp/ip settings of the connection error. I have no LAN showing next to my 1394 connection. In my other devices section my ethernet controller, multimedia audio controller, pcl modem, video controller and video controller(VGA Compatible) all have yellow exclamation points next to them. I went and disabled and enabled my ethernet controller no change. I tried to use the wizard with my Driver Recovery CD in to see if it would pickup anything I needed no success. Then it prompts me to check the internet which I can't do. Back around in the endless circle.

I have been trying everything I can do to fix this without paying someone else to do it. But at this point i'm about to pull out my hair. It's been days of failures with no results. Now I have a computer with no internet and I can't access any of my old files on my C drive. But they still are taking up tons of space after the reinstall of windows xp. Can anyone help :upset:

Oh also can someone make me a CD-R disk with the needed drivers that I can install that way?

Edited by gho, 20 March 2012 - 10:17 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

A little hard when you can't access the internet...

You download them on another computer, to a flash drive and then you run them on the Dell dimension.

The 1394 connection is not used, that is a firewire port internet connection and you need not concern yourself with it.
Go start, right click My Computer.
Click Properties

on the window that opens what does it report for Windows XP - SP1, SP2 or SP3.

Here is the link for your computer at Dell
http://www.dell.com/...rs/uk/en/ukdhs1

ensure you have it set for XP
Download
chipset driver
Network the Intel driver - do not load the othet two at this stage
Audio driver
Video driver - select as required.

You may wish to try chipset and Network first see if you can then get on the net.
NOTE have you installed an anti-virus

and then go back to the Dell site, as on the link I have sent you will see Enter Service tag, unless your computer has different hardware from when it was sold, ie graphics, audio etc you can then download what Dell knows to be applicable to THAT particular computer.

gho

gho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Yeah we did that last night. I downloaded the chipset onto a CD-R and ran the setup on my computer. I didn't get the network - Intel Driver download though so i'll get that one next.

I have Microsoft Windows Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2.

No I haven't reinstalled anything for a virus yet. It had Norton on it before but that's not up and running at this point after my windows xp reinstall.

So I should go ahead and download the Network - Intel Driver then see if I can get on the net. Then get the Analog Device-Driver after? Just want to make sure. :happy:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It is an awful lot easier for you with a usb flash pen OR why not at least put them all on one CD

and you may find that many other apects will be imporved if you install SP3 once you get a connection.

Support for SP2 has finished anyway, so you need SP3 for your security updates.

and do not even think of browsing on the computer until you install an AV
I do not recomend NORTON and would direct your attention to this
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

you may choose which you think will suit your requirements
I use Microsoft Security Essentuials it is free, uses few resources and has never let me down.
HIOWEVER you cannot install that until you have SP3

Once you get a connection and on IE not on Firefox, go Windows Update from Control Panel.

gho

gho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I wasn't sure if they would conflict with each other if they were all on one CD. I don't know computers that well so it's better to ask than wander.

Another question.. When I went into my router last night I was told I didn't have a ethernet adapter. When I went into the windows section for it the file was no longer present. Will these downloads fix that as well?

Edited by gho, 21 March 2012 - 10:01 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well you will not have, as you do not yet have the driver for it.
Without the driver the connection cannot work and cannot be seen by the router

gho

gho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Okay I have the chipset and the network intel driver on my computer now. I just finished up the network driver and it said that it installed successfully. Now what do I need to do to get this show back up and running?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well - how do I answer that -
Is the intenet connection now working.

gho

gho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
No the internet is not back up yet. Was it just supposed to start working as soon as the two items were installed? When I went to repair the connection and got the same tcp/ip error. I went into my adapter and disabled and enabled it and searched for new hardware on that and my other yellow marks. I went into my router setup disk and tried to set it up and it still wasn't picking up the adapter.

Edited by gho, 22 March 2012 - 04:11 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
What is now shown please in Network Connections - via Control Panel

You are I presume hard wired to the router.

What is showing NOW you have the driver in Device manager for Network adaptor

Advertisements

gho

gho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Network Connections via Control Panel - 1394 Connection - Connected 1394 Adapter

Yes internet is wired from computer to the router

Device Manager for Network Adapter - 1394 Net Adapter

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You must have missed my first reply comment the 1394 connection is not used.

The connection you want is the one you have or had in unused devices

This is the download for the driver is this the one you have installed
http://www.dell.com/...oductCode=False

Please see the instructions on the link

gho

gho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Okay how do I get to that connection again? 1394 is the only thing showing in my network connections at this point.

Yes that would be it. The Intel Driver that Applies to ®Pro/100 VE Network Connection is the download I did off the Network section. For Windows XP Service Tag: 954T171.

gho

gho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Okay I didn't do this part yet.

6.Click the Start button and then click Run.
7.Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\r78727 in the Open textbox and then click OK.
8.Follow the on-screen installation instructions.

Going to go try that now.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please forget the 1394 connection it is of NO USE for making an connection to your router

When viewing the Network Connections in Windows XP and 2003 users may notice a 1394 Connection (1394 Net Adapter) is listed as one of the device names. A 1394 device will be listed in Windows for any computer that has FireWire connections or is capable of supporting FireWire. This should not be confused as a network card or network device.

If you're trying to connect your computer to a network or you're troubleshooting your network card and only see the 1394 Connection listed in your Network Connection list it's very likely that the drivers for your network card are not installed properly or there are other issues with your network card.

Please go to the LINK I just sent you and read the instructions, please then try again installing the driver.