Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dns changer ? [Closed] [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
i just manually checked my dns with ip config /all and they are what they re supposed to be

Advertisements

myrti

myrti

Expert

• Expert
  • 2,580 posts
Hi,

that's very odd. Phishing scams don't usually use that kind of accurate and amount of information. They prefer to scare you witless into either giving up your login or your money.
Did they offer to connect remotely to your PC to fix the issue? Or ask you for anything other than to visit the page?

From what I can tell the PC is clean, since you also reset the router, there is really little chance anything remains infected. I would wrap this up then, if you have no further questions. :)

Read those last few lines, in order to keep your pc safe and clean:
Please do the following to clean up your PC:
  • Delete the tools used during the disinfection:
    • Download OTC from the following mirrors and save it to your desktop:
    • Double click on Posted Image
    • Push the large "Cleanup" button.
    • Allow your system to reboot.
  • If OTC faild to remove all programs from your Desktop, please delete the rest manually.
  • Disable and Enable System Restore.
    You can find instructions on how to disable and reenable system restore here:
    Windows ME System Restore Guide
    Windows XP System Restore Guide
    Windows Vista System Restore Guide

Note: You should only do this once, not on a regular basis!
    You will not be able to restore computer to any earlier than today!

Please read these advices, in order to prevent reinfecting your PC:

• Install and update the following programs regularly:
    • an outbound firewall
      A comprehensive tutorial and a list of possible firewalls can be found here.
    • an AntiVirus Software
      It is imperative that you update your AntiVirus Software on regular basis.If you do not update your AntiVirus Software then it will not be able to catch the latest threats.
    • an Anti-Spyware program
      Malware Byte's Anti Malware is an excellent Anti-Spyware scanner. It's scan times are usually under ten minutes, and has excellent detection and removal rates.
      SUPERAntiSpyware is another good scanner with high detection and removal rates.
      Both programs are free for non commercial home use but provide a resident and do not nag if you purchase the paid versions.
    • Spyware Blaster
      A tutorial for Spywareblaster can be found here. If you wish, the commercial version provides automatic updating.
    • MVPs hosts file
      A tutorial for MVPs hosts file can be found here. If you would like automatic updates you might want to take a look at HostMan host file manager. For more information on thehosts file, and what it can do for you,please consult the Tutorial on the Hosts file
  • Keep Windows (and your other Microsoft software) up to date!
    I cannot stress how important this is enough. Often holes are found in Internet Explorer or Windows itself that require patching. Sometimes these holeswill allow an attacker unrestricted access to your computer.
    Therefore, please, visit the Microsoft Update Website and follow the on screen instructions to setup Microsoft Update. Also follow the instructions to update your system. Please REBOOT and repeat this process until there are no more updates to install!!
  • Keep your other software up to date as well
    Software does not need to be made by Microsoft to be insecure. You can use the Secunia Online Software occasionally to help you check for out of date software on yourmachine.
  • Stay up to date!
    The MOST IMPORTANT part of any security setup is keeping the software up to date. Malware writers release new variantsevery single day. If your software updates don't keep up, then the malware will always be one step ahead. Not a good thing :(.
Some more links you might find of interest:
Have a nice day
myrti

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
Ok myrti
i have done all the things suggested by you and hopefully i should remain protected
thank you very much for your help and to all the geeks to go tech guys for what you do

again thank you so much
regards
todd

myrti

myrti

Expert

• Expert
  • 2,580 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.