Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Chkdsk converted folders to files!

• Please log in to reply

mikeyyz

mikeyyz

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,

My flash drive was acting up so I ran chkdsk on it and now it has converted almost all my folders on it into files. I really need those folders. Can you please help me get them back?

Also is there a way to restore files deleted off another of my flash drives?

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Michael

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hello,

Sounds like in both cases you need to either restore from a backup (you should have a backup), otherwise you are looking at data recovery. Some people have had good success with Recuva.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Cheers

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Generally, when you see folders converted to files, it means they were corrupted, and chkdsk, in an attempt to recover as much as possible, converts the folders (and other corrupted files) into files that can be read with Notepad. I don't know of any way to convert them back and your best bet is to use Notepad to try to rebuild your files, or a file recovery program as Troy suggested. But I would not put out much hope for either.

Why did you run chkdsk on the drive in the first place? What do you mean by acting up? Generally, when any drive starts acting up, the first thing you try to do is copy off any files you don't want to lose. Of course that advice is a bit late now. :(

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Generally, when any drive starts acting up, the first thing you try to do is copy off any files you don't want to lose. Of course that advice is a bit late now. :(

That is, based on the all-too-common situation of not having backups of important data already in place.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
So true - and to expand it further, based on the all-too-common situation of not having "current" backups of important data already in place.

mikeyyz

mikeyyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks guys!
The recovery program was fantastic.
Much obliged.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician