Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my HD a lost cause?

• Please log in to reply

Drexer13

Drexer13

• Pip
  • 5 posts
OK so here's what happened, I turned on my computer a few weeks ago and i couldn't get it to boot. it would just start up beep once and restart over and over again. I looked inside and noticed that is had a lot of dust and lint in it so I decided to clean it and make sure all the connections where tight. I let a friend put my hard drive back in and long story made even longer, When I fired it up it still didn't work, but it did get farther. I looked inside and noticed that my friend had plugged in both the legacy power and the sata.

I guess my question is, is there anyway for me to test the drive, or at least try to save some of the data on in using my laptop?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Typically, a dead hard drive with produce an error. It sounds like you may have another hardware issue, like a bad power supply or motherboard. When the system boots do you see the BIOS information? Can you enter the BIOS?

Drexer13

Drexer13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes I can Enter Bios
I changed them to try to boot from the Cd Drive but It says that my cd is invalid?

I have a Back up HD in the computer but there is not any boot information on that one. How can I tell which one its trying to boot from?

I have an extra Power Supply Ill Put it in and see if that solves the problem.

Ill Keep you Posted.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Try unplugging your backup hard drive and see if it boots.

Drexer13

Drexer13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ill Give that a shot Before I replace the Power supply.
Thanks