Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem Installing and uninstalling Java update 31 (6)

• Please log in to reply

israphial

israphial

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello there. This is my first day on this website, so please humor me. :)

Well, I'm having a serious issue with my java. Recently, some programs that require java that I run, aren't working. I have narrowed this down to the fact that I need to update my java. Well...
Example: Minecraft.net
I go to open a server, and the top bar says that my plug-in is out of date. So, i navigate to Java.com to update it.

Well, I download the main update thing, and it proceeds to download. (I am following this as I go)
Download chromeinstall-6u31.exe(i run Google Chrome)

Running it. I accept the terma and "install".

The installation window comes up, after i close the needed programs. It is installing.

Then....Bam.
"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, pr enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'jre1.6.0_20.msi' in the box below."

The dialog box allows me to search for this said file, but it isnt anywhere on my computer that I can see....so I click cancel.

"Error 1714. The older version of Java™ 6 update 31 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group."

Well, I hope that you guys are the "technical support group" that can help me out here. I tried uninstalling Java from my list of programs in Control Panel, but the same darn window pops up. Please help me out here. I would really appreciate it. Oh, by the way, I'm running Windows 7, with Google Chrome.
Thank you in advance.
-Israphial

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi Israphial and :welcome:

Try running JavaRA to first remove all traces of older versions of Java, then install the latest and see what happens.

israphial

israphial

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for greeting. :)I am downloading JavaRa right now, and I'll update you on this once I do what you told me.

israphial

israphial

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sigh....
Downloaded. I click "Remove older versions". it asks for confirmation and says to close all internet explorer windows. I do so. Window goes static for about 5 seconds:
It then says that it has finished searching for versions of java, etc. it will now open The JavaRa.log.
I click OK. Bam. "Cannot find the JavaRa.log file. Would you like to create a new one?"
What the heck, this is such a pain in the rear. :(
All I want to do is reinstall the darn java...I don't care about the log of the program removing it! I hate to bother you....but please help me out again...

EDIT: OK I tried running the program as administrator, and that made the log pop up finally. But, now it says something about not finding the JavaRa.def! "Be sure the definition file resides in the same directory JavaRa.exe is in."

So, I go to the JavaRa core folder, and there sits the .def right above the .exe! Grr.

Anyways, here's the log for JavaRa.log:

:Beginning of report:

JavaRa 1.16 Removal Log.

Report follows after line.

------------------------------------

The JavaRa removal process was started on Sat Mar 24 22:40:37 2012

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0001-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0002-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0003-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0004-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0005-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0006-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0007-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0008-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0009-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0010-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0011-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0012-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0013-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0014-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0015-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0016-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0017-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0018-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0019-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0020-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0021-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0022-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

------------------------------------

Finished reporting.

Ok, So I'm assuming Java is mostly uninstalled.....So I go into the control Panel and Add and Remove programs to actually uninstall it...And it's still there. So I try to uninstall it from the control panel, but I get the same error that I did in the beginning. *sigh* I'm just about fed up with this darn problem. PLEASE help me.... :bashhead: :smashcomp:

Edited by israphial, 24 March 2012 - 08:47 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Others with that same FF extension problem uninstalled FF and reinstalled it.

israphial

israphial

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thing is....I don't even HAVE firefox. I run Google Chrome. Lets not focus on that now. How do I uninstall Java and reinstall it? :help:

EDIT: So, I did a complete search of my system, and nowhere is Mozilla Firefox. I have never even had it on my system, so why is it interrupting my uninstallation?

Edited by israphial, 25 March 2012 - 12:03 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Thing is....I don't even HAVE firefox. I run Google Chrome. Lets not focus on that now. How do I uninstall Java and reinstall it?

You are asking to ignore the big elephant in the room. Can't do.

Are you 100% sure you have never ever tried FF? If me, I would check out this.

israphial

israphial

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have looked and looked, and followed your link. There is NO trace of FF on my system.... :help:
EDIT: You know what I mean now? :/ Something's up with my computer. I generally know how to run a computer quite well, in fact, too well( :thumbsup: ) but this is even over MY head.....

Edited by israphial, 27 March 2012 - 06:21 PM.

israphial

israphial

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
BUMP.
I'm sorry to bump, but I really need help here..this is kind of a major problem in my computer. :upset:

Sophi

Sophi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having the same issue, as well as some additional ones. It's not just java that I can't uninstall/reinstall, it's everything. It's telling me all of my installers can't connect to the internet, even though I'm on the internet right now. Anyway, I had started the JavaRa fix based on advice on another site and then ended up with the wall of "There was an error removing \Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124." in the end report. Like you, I don't have and have never had Mozilla Firefox on this computer, but I had Google Chrome. I'm at the point where I feel like just wiping my computer completely, because I can't do anything...

Unrelated to this (I think) my computer has also randomly started telling me that programs I've been using for a year (Microsoft Word, Google Chrome, etc) are not compatible with my 64 bit Windows 7. I have no idea why... Suddenly so many programs won't even function, and as I said, I can't reinstall them. What a mess!

Edited by Sophi, 30 March 2012 - 07:09 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets try a different set of instructions and see if this works.

Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • * Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    * Accept any prompts.
    * Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    * Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button.
  • Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

http://sourceforge.n...ft&words=javara

Java Download Link
http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 9 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

israphial

israphial

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm sorry for not replying. A family issue came up.
You don't seem to understand. I can't re-install or uninstall java. "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'jre1.6.0_20.msi' in the box below."
That is what comes up if i try to uninstall or re-install java. Once i close this, I get error 1714.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I understand fully and that is why I posted a second set of instructions to try and help.
Have you tried going through add\remove programs and then click on the little box at the top that says show all updates?
You might be able to uninstall that way. If not try going into Safe Mode and then through add]remove again.

israphial

israphial

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The second set of instr., I already tried, along with Safe Mode. :/ What the heck is going on....
Currently, I am not in possession of my computer, so Give me a few days to respond to any more instructions. I apologize for any delay.
I'm sorry about being slightly mouthy. I am simply very irritated and frustrated. I am a expert with computers, but this problem has bested me...
BTW, I have tried various scans and such, with and without safe mode...to no success. My computer is clean as a whistle.