Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help any is greatly appreciated

• Please log in to reply

musicluva

musicluva

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
first of all im using a HP G60 laptop an ive been using an external monitor because the screen has been broken for a long time now an on the laptop screen you can only see like half an inch so its not very helpful without a monitor here is the problem when i start it up it says windows could not complete installation to install windows restart installation ok an with that in mind i tried downloading some disk that i insert an its suppose to give me a green arrow an then i take it out an then restart an then its suppose to be problem fixed an i did that but it still says the same error an when it said do i want to restore my computer to a different time it said there are no previous restore points an apparently to fix this problem i need to see my screen but you cant see the start up screens an blue menu screens computers have on external monitors wright so if anyone could give me any advice or help i would be so thankfull ive tried all i know how to :help:

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: musicluva
Couple of questions for you;
Is the notebook still covered by any warranty.
Is there any physical damage to the screen or is it only the image that is bad.
Are you using Vista.
And can you provide a link to the disk that you downloaded.

musicluva

musicluva

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
thank you so much for the reply yea i hit the screen with my hands when my friend brake checked the car an im pretty sure the warranty has expired an im thinking windows home edition im not sure its a hp g60 i got it about 2 years or so ago and yes i saved the link to that disk here it is http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloa​dIndex?softwareitem=pv-80183-1&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en and this is the forum page adress i found it on here http://h30434.www3.h...ase/td-p/674647

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok so the screen itself is damaged and needs replacing so we can`t at present help you fix that.
The notebook specs show the supplied OS to be Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 http://h10025.www1.h...cname=c01533413 however the disk at the link that you have provided is for Windows 7 and so would not be compatible.
As for the warranty unless you have purchased extended cover then after two years I would not imagine it to be covered, it would not cover any screen damage either.

For a Vista Recovery disk see http://www.vistax64....overy-disc.html let us know how it goes.

musicluva

musicluva

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
i made the disk as it listed an inserted it into my laptop an like i said i cen barely see like maybe a inch or more on the upper left hand side of my broke screen an all i can see is it says something like device connected in white with a black screen an then i cant really see the options to i pressed enter then it says something about selecting a tool thats all i can really make out an then i pressed enter again an it went black a while then brought me back to the same steps

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Can you not hook the notebook up to the external screen that you have previously been using.

musicluva

musicluva

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
thank you so much for replying yea i have it hooked up to it but i didnt think it would display the laptop when its in startup with the black screens an things it only displays the laptop screen when its either on the part where you type your password to get to the desktop or when my desktop icons appear

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Sorry Im a bit confused here so can you help me out :thumbsup:

first of all im using a HP G60 laptop an ive been using an external monitor

What has changed to prevent you from using/seeing a display on it.

i didnt think it would display the laptop when its in startup

You should see on the external screen what would be on the notebook screen.

it only displays the laptop screen when its either on the part where you type your password to get to the desktop or when my desktop icons appear

Can you please explain as this is telling me you have a display.

musicluva

musicluva

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
basically like my external monitor will only start displaying the laptop when im passed like the part where it says welcome and i type my password ro get to the desktopand icons i have no display till i reach the desktop then the monitor will atart displaying the laptop so any inforation i type or actions i perform before reaching the desktop will not display on the external monitor

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

basically like my external monitor will only start displaying the laptop when im passed like the part where it says welcome and i type my password ro get to the desktopand icons

Meaning you are not getting the Hp splash/logo screen - the point where the system is counting up your memory and checking for a boot device etc, when you next boot up try tapping the Tab key in case the above has been turned off.

so any information i type or actions i perform before reaching the desktop will not display on the external monitor

What have you tried doing?
Your options are limited until the notebook has booted, options do include entering the system BIOS/set-up, not all systems are the same but tapping one of the following keys on next boot may allow you to see the above options F1, F2, F8, F12 or Del.
Let us know if this helps.

Advertisements

musicluva

musicluva

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
yes i cant see the bios menus an things like that the only way i am able to see any type of projection is after the part that says enter your password after the welcome but i cant get to the password part because when i turn on the laptop i can only see like 1 inch at the top right hand corner of the laptop nothing starts projecting to the external monitor untill i have entered my password an reached the desktop icons that is the only time i am able to see my laptop screen being projected an im stuck with the error message before i get to the password point and i have no restore points so i guess i will have to keep guessing or find someone who could tell me what steps to do an i would have to do it blindly thank you for responding once again greatly appreciated im trying

musicluva

musicluva

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
i jus need some one that knows the steps to get past the windows could not complete instillation to reinstall windows on this computer message an guide me as there looking at it but i am not like guide me blindly

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
My colleague phillpower2 has asked if I will take a look to see if I can assist.

I have to tell you at the start, that it is rather unlikely, in my opinion that the error is going to be easily solved.

The BIOS on that computer is accessed on the F10 key
The fact that you cannot see the post screen, does not matter, insofar as entering setup is concerned

Boot the laptop and keep tapping the F10 key

If you are successful in entering setup on the advanced BIOS heading

Figure 34: Power-on Options screenPosted Image

The following options are found in the Power-On Options: Power-On Options MenuSettings
POST (Power On Self Test) Messages Enable or Disable
After Power LossPrevious State or Off
POST Delay (in seconds)None, 5, 10, 15, 20 seconds

Make post delay 20 seconds.

Save and exit.
Try again does the post screen now show on the external monitor and have you been into Control Panel to make that the primary display

musicluva

musicluva

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
thank you for replying yes i pressed f10 and on my laptop screen i can only see about 1 inch of the top right hand corner since its broke so i cant see the blue screen in your previous message i guess theres no way to figure this out i will try to click an guess

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
How is the external monitor connected VGA or HDMI, DVI

If it is not VGA connected VGA and then try