Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstall Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest dropping AVG and using something like Avast or MSE. This will help your system run a little smoother also.
Lighter on system resources and do as good if not better protecting your system.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Take a look at both below and see if either looks good to you. :thumbsup:

Please download Avast from my signature below. Please make sure you do the registration as it is good for a year or more. When it is due simply just reregister it.
Avast in my opinion is better because:

It's FREE to the Home User
It Updates it's Definitions daily
You can scan Individual Files, Folders and Drives
No buying new versions every year

http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html

Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home or small business PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Thank-You
I'm going to try Avast.
After installing this, just delete AVG?

How is the program,not sure its name,something like:
Windows Security Essentials.

Which is better? Internet Explorer or Firefox?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

After installing this, just delete AVG?

Download Avast...Uninstall AVG... Then install Avast

How is the program,not sure its name,something like:
Windows Security Essentials.

Almost right..it is actually called Microsoft Security Essentials or MSE for short. Works great. My wife has it on her computer and loves it.

Which is better? Internet Explorer or Firefox?

Personally I like FireFox better but Internet Explorer has made some great changes in the past year with the newest ones and is a lot more secure now.

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
My wife has Internet Explorer and I have Firefox.

Can Avast and MSE work together?

Right now we both have AVG.

But I'm changing.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Can Avast and MSE work together?

No they do the same thing and running them together may cause false positive readings and slow your system down. Use one or the other.

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
I'm going to use Avast.

Just want to thank you once more,
for all your help and support.

Thank-You,
John

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please let me know how everything works once you have changed everything over. :thumbsup:

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
How is wise registry cleaner?

How is wise disk cleaner?

And CCleaner?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

In fact the Wise Disk Cleaner can be substituted for TFC which does the same thing and has been proven to do a great job. It was created by one of our own members and we use it regularly in our steps to help clear out temp and junk files without harming the rest of the system.
Auslogics Defrag can then be used right after TFC to keep everything in order and your system running smoothly.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Background info courtesy of DonnaB Thank you

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.
http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

Advertisements

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Only thing I should need to help my pc run cleaner and better is:

AVAST:

TFC:

Auslogics Defrag:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:

SuperAntiSpyware:

How often and what order should they be used?

What about ATF?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to get everything correct.
This is my final asking for info before I start.
After this I'm going to work on my pc.

Edited by john god, 07 April 2012 - 08:47 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Avast, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware runs all the time.

TFC and Auslogics Defrag depending on how often you add and subtract programs and data once a month should be fine.
ATF does the same as TFC but is for older OS's and in my opinion doesn't do as good of a job.
No problem with the questions because of you don't ask then you could have a problem. :thumbsup:

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
I ran these 5 items once complete,
now I'll let them do there job.

I'll try to do the scans that I need to, once per month.

AVAST:

TFC:

Auslogics Defrag:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:

SuperAntiSpyware:

The computer runs really well now.
If I ever need anymore help or advice, I'll let you know.

And Thank-You once more,
John

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations john god. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :thumbsup: :ph34r:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible