Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SCSI id problem?

• Please log in to reply

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi,
This problem has been plaguing me for a very long time but I keep returning to it!

I have two scsi drives running on an onboard controller which is set to the default ID of 7.
I have one disk with the os on it and it is set to ID0.
The other disk is formated and it is set to ID1.

For some reason the pc trys to boot from the second ID1 disk.
If I remove it there is no problem.
If I put windows on it, it boots up and sees my original as the slave.

As far as I know the cable has it's own termination on it and both drives are set to allow this.
I would like to use the problem disk (a fujitsu)as storage as I feel it is the more reliable for some reason, seems less noisy and runs smoother etc and my other original has 26630 hours under it's belt. :wacko:

The controller is an LSI logic 1020/1030 ultra and in the settings there is an option for boot order but this greyed out and not accessable.
Has anyone any idea if I may be overlooking something?
TIA
Tom.

Advertisements

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I've somehow managed to solve this...
I finally got the disk to recognised in the bios and windows booted up.

The disk wasn't to be seen in my computer but it showed in disk management.
Unfortuanately it still was not accessable but there was an option to initialise and convert.
Now seeing that I've tried to format this drive through variouse routes of which I thought was a success I didn't hold much hope over this (Just another attempt at formatting so I thought).

At last everything has fallen into place after a very long time of persevearing and being convinced that there was some major issue at hand.

It all seems so easy now I know how to do it.
Sometimes there are so many routes to take over something that you can quite easily tie yourself in knots.
Just thought I should report back.

Happy days :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Congratulations on resolving the issue yourself Tommy Timebomb :thumbsup: and thank you for sharing the solution so that it may help others in the future :spoton: