Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New harddrive, no disks - Restoring laptop to factory condition

• Please log in to reply

TanjaC

TanjaC

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello!

I am a computer novice so please be patient with me :)

My toddler pushed my Acer Aspire 5742Z-4492 computer off the table and that damaged the harddrive. I have a harddrive enclosure and have been able to access the information on the harddrive on my old laptop. I inserted a new harddrive and installed Windows7 from a copied disk someone gave me onto the "broken" computer. This is where I get stuck.

It there a way to restore the computer to it's factory condition without access to the internet (it tells me there are problems with the "network adapter" and I need to update drivers?)or the disks? (I don't think it came with disks.....)

I do have access to the old harddrive and most of it is undamaged. Would it be possible to create a system restore point by "copy and pasting" files from the old harddrive to the new harddrive? If so, which files do I copy and where do I paste them?

I'm hoping someone here can help me - I am feeling completely lost!

Thanks in advance,

Tanja.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You should have created a set of Recovery Discs when you first got the computer to protect yourself from this kind of problem.

You can download the drivers that are not contained in Windows 7 from the Acer support site.

acerLappy.jpg

A better choice would be to order the recovery discs from Acer here: Recovery Media Purchase Program

TanjaC

TanjaC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Should've but didn't :unsure: Won't make that mistake again.

I'll order the disk, thanks.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
While you're waiting, try downloading the drivers from the Acer web site and see what happens, especially the Chipset.

TanjaC

TanjaC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks! I'll give that a try. I was stumped by all the different drivers on their website. I've downloaded the driver, will unzip it and burn it to a disk and see what happens.

I was wondering......can I create a back-up disk for my working Acer Aspire 7720 and use that on the other Acer? Or are the systems not at all combatible? Just curious if this is possible - I'm ordering the disk from Acer regardless.

It is wonderful to have a forum like this to turn to - thank you so much.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Only one way to find out about making and using backup discs this way :whistling:

If you're bored, give it a try, after seeing what the device driver download does for you.