Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What the... Happened with my IE?

• Please log in to reply

psychepiper

psychepiper

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello All:

My computer did a routine "update" today and the next thing I know, it has completely screwed up my Internet Explorer. It's completely different than before. It defaults to some dumbass Google page and the URL line is huge and taking up too much of my window. I don't know what happened, I don't like it, it's upsetting me that it just uploaded itself and I have no idea what is going on.

Can someone please help.

Apparently what is currently running is Internet Explorer 64 bit. I tried looking for 32 bit to restore and it is no longer on the computer. I tried redownloading IE7 or IE8 and it told me my system didn't support it.

Attached please find a screen shot of the new thing.

Please tell me there is a way to restore my old IE.

~Rachelietragedy.jpg

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi psychepiper,

From the looks of it your browser has upgraded to IE9.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Windows Updates

In the lower left corner click on Installed Updates. Allow time for the list of updates to populate. Scroll down to find the Microsoft Windows section and look for the Windows Internet Explorer 9 update.

To revert back to IE8, click the IE9 update to highlight then click uninstall.

IE9 is a much more secure browser than IE8. I'd keep it even though it is hard to accept the change.

Donna :)