Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I got XP back on, but switched the drives?

• Please log in to reply

robbiggs81

robbiggs81

• Pip
  • 5 posts
After beating my Acer Aspire One against a granite table until the dust from my deployment to Afghanistan came out of it (redhead. allowed to have a temper now & then)

My little netbook responded by not wanting to start up. Can't say I blame her.
Could not boot. Tried installing fixes on a USB, external CD, etc.

My lovely friend Gena had a XP CD (not having a CD drive I never bothered to make a backup)
And she got my XP back up and running.

After reinstalling drivers and running updates forever, it told me SP3 would not install because I didn't have any room for it.

huh?

So I looked and somehow she installed it on my E drive (5gb) instead of the C drive (143gb)
:<

Even though I didn't win the 600 million lottery, I did have some luck! All of my programs and pictures and videos are still alive and well. (I backed up my years of pictures and videos in case I beat it with a sledgehammer next)

But I can't figure out how to switch it back to booting from the C drive.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. :)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds like the E drive is a recovery partition that you can use to restore the netbook to it's factory installed state, but according to the Users Manual it doesn't have one, very strange.

I think the only thing you can do is have your friend install again only this time make sure the C: drive is selected. Once that's done remove XP from the E: drive.

robbiggs81

robbiggs81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It didn't have one, I somehow made it about 2 years ago before I restored everything to factory settings because I screwed up something. But I can't find the notebook where I keep all my notes about updates and crap I do to this poor thing.
I thought keeping a paper copy of what I've updated/rolled back/deleted/changed (and how I fixed things so I could replicate results later) would be a good idea, but a lot of my stuff never made it back from over seas.

So if XP was on my C before, wouldn't it still be there?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, it is still on C: but you said it wasn't booting which is why your friend did a reinstall that ended up on E, which, from it's size, sounds like a Recovery Partition. Can you post a screen shot of an expanded Disk Management window please.

To open Disk Management, press Windows key+r, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter or click GO. Make it full screen.

Post a picture to GeeksToGo
Make sure the window you want to capture has the focus.
Press Alt+Print Screen. That will capture the active window.
Start MSPaint - Start then Run, type mspaint and press Enter.
Press Ctrl+v to paste the picture in to MS Paint.
Click File then Save as and save it to your Desktop.

Start a new reply.
Click on the Browse button below the message input area.
Navigate to where you saved the picture, select it and click on Open.
Click on Attach This File.
Once uploaded, click on Add To Post to the far right of the uploaded file.
Scroll down and click Preview Post to verify the image shows.

robbiggs81

robbiggs81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
trying to. my paint and office suite aren't there. 0_o
Not that I ever used either much before.
back in a few

robbiggs81

robbiggs81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Found it in system32 on my C drive. Not sure why it's not on the E since it seems to be working.

Here's my screen shot. Hope you can see it. File was originally too large

what I couldn't expand or you wouldn't see the rest, is where each drive's status says healthy, E is listed as Boot and C as System.

And I'll be borrowing her disk again to fix this for sure, this time doing it myself. I just wonder why I can't (or how I could if it is possible) just switch which drive this beast boots from.

Edited by robbiggs81, 05 April 2012 - 04:54 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'd appreciate it if you would delete the image you uploaded and do it again with a name I don't find offensive. Thanks

robbiggs81

robbiggs81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
changed the name. Was frustrated trying to find the MS Paint file to open it with last night

However, if the file name of something I have saved on MY computer is so offensive you can't comment until it has been changed.. I don't need YOUR help any further. Thank you

Edited by robbiggs81, 05 April 2012 - 04:56 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I have no objection to what you have on your computer. I object to sharing it with anyone who reads this forum.

I wish you the best and hope you get your problem fixed.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
robbiggs81

It is not a question of what you have on your computer. You may quite clearly name any file on your computer with the most offensive, obscene or foul language you wish.

That is absolutely nothing to do with anyone, except you.

However this site GeesktoGo is, as explained in our Terms of Use a family friendly site, and as such all content posted is required to fit in with that aspect.

This, as below, is from our Terms of Use.

Geeks to Go is a family friendly site, accessible to anyone 13 years of age and older. Please keep all content appropriate.

My colleague Ztruker, asked politely for you to delete the image and reload it without the inappropriate file name.

Although you did so, why you should then adopt the attitude, that the request was so upsetting to you that you posted

However, if the file name of something I have saved on MY computer is so offensive you can't comment until it has been changed.. I don't need YOUR help any further. Thank you

is difficult to understand.

Should you wish to continue, we are more than willing to do so, in an attempt to solve your problems.

However, that continuance of this topic and indeed any other topics started by you on this site, must be on the understanding that you now appreciate that we do not accept the posting of any such language, be it directly from the person in their wording, or from the title of any material on the computer.

Thank you and if you wish to continue you only need to post that indication