Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Planning a Gaming Rig; Part List Incomplete, need help suggestions app

• Please log in to reply

Roentijen

Roentijen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

I reckon the 680 is loosing a bit of ground to the 580 due to the price to performance ratio;
http://www.videocard...GeForce GTX 680 life is fickle - your top dog one day and old news the next :blink:

Best to do a final check before ordering to see what is deemed the best on that day.

While I agree with you on the note that it would be more fiscally responsible to go with the GTX 580 given those scores, I'm more concerned with overall graphical performance rather than the performance/cost ratio. In that regard the 680 still seems the better choice.

Additionally I don't plan on overclocking this systems and to that end I believe that the 680 is also less power-hungry than it's non-kepler brethren. I'm not positive of this however.

Still though, thank you for the information, I will make a note to check it regularly as time goes on.

Advertisements

Roentijen

Roentijen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hello all! Just a quick update on this build plan, I've been keeping my eye on the Z77 mobos and I'm liking the looks of this Gigabyte model a bit better than the ASRock one I had on my list before. It also has a fair bit of glowing feedback in comparison to it's competition and isn't too much more, money wise, than the previous selection. I'll be checking it's QVL to be sure the Sniper RAM sits well with it and I'm still waiting for the i5-3670K to debut at the end of the month.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Nice MB :thumbsup:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you might want to check out MSI’s GTX 680 Twin Frozr III /OC has 22°C lower temperatures and runs 10.2dB quieter than the reference design...here and benchmarks here
I have the 570 Twin Frozr III /OC version and it runs cool and quiet with 3d mark score of 30276

Attached Thumbnails

• 3d mark 30k.jpg

Roentijen

Roentijen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Nice MB :thumbsup:

I'm glad you think so! :) I might even spend a bit more and get the "WB" version that comes with a wireless card. It appears to be exactly the same spec-wise as the non-wireless version it just has fewer reviews as most people don't need a built-in wireless solution. Now that I think about that perhaps I could just purchase a USB dongle instead?

I also checked the QVL for the Gigabyte board and it does support the Sniper RAM so that's good news.

you might want to check out MSI’s GTX 680 Twin Frozr III /OC has 22°C lower temperatures and runs 10.2dB quieter than the reference design...here and benchmarks here
I have the 570 Twin Frozr III /OC version and it runs cool and quiet with 3d mark score of 30276

How does MSI compare to EVGA? My friend has been urging me to go with the latter due to their excellent customer service and warranties, however I definitely like the looks of the Twin Frozr III, especially if I keep the BitFenix case as having two fans on the video card would be better than one.

Edited by Roentijen, 17 April 2012 - 06:56 PM.

Roentijen

Roentijen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I don't know if this link will work, but would ya'll mind taking a look at these two monitors and tell me what the difference is? Spec-wise they appear to be the same but there's got to be a difference otherwise one wouldn't be cheaper than the other. I hope it's not something obvious because I'd feel a bit foolish if it is.

Here's the link! :D

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
They are identical, apart from one being refurbished and does not list what is in the package. A search on Asus gets no result for the PB. Google does return results for the same monitor with PB Followed by (B grade, light scratches on the sreen and/or besel)

Roentijen

Roentijen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

They are identical, apart from one being refurbished and does not list what is in the package. A search on Asus gets no result for the PB. Google does return results for the same monitor with PB Followed by (B grade, light scratches on the sreen and/or besel)

Ah, see? Now I feel foolish. I did not notice the cheaper of the two was refurbished. My bad.

Roentijen

Roentijen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
UPDATE!

Sorry to keep bumping this, but I just wanted to update with some interesting info I found regarding the Gigabyte Mobo I picked and the fact that I still need a PSU for the list. This may have just solved my problem, but I wanted to run it by you guys and gals first to make sure that the PSU in that deal is worth it or if I should look elsewhere. It would be nice if that one would work well as I'd save 70 bucks and get the exact mobo I was looking at.

Plus I think 1050W would be plenty to power the rest of the rig right?

We're closing in on the release of the 3570 so I'll be able to consolidate my parts list soon! :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Roentijen
Not enough reviews for the PSU and what has been post is not convincing enough to encourage potential purchasers http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153144
Please see the following links to help you choose a quality brand PSU http://www.10stripe....d/psu/brand.php - http://forum.pcmech....ide-inside.html and http://www.realhardt...vos/Page541.htm

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thermal-take do not actually make PSUs, CWT has been their builder for quite a while but this line they switched to a company with a poor reputation, Sirfa.
There is no professional review on this unit but there is on the next one up, and it gets a FAIL.

http://hardocp.com/a...0w_psu_review/1

Roentijen

Roentijen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Great. Thanks for the heads up guys. I'll definitely be looking elsewhere for the PSU then. I was also thinking it would be cheaper to go with the same mobo, but not the version with built-in wireless. I would, in that case, need to get a wireless dongle until I could get a hard-wire internet solution. Any suggestions on that or would any ol' USB network adapter work?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Before addressing the wireless question.

It's a long way back to your original parts list and there has been some alterations. So we know were we are with parts and cost, please post the link to your updated list.

Roentijen

Roentijen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Hi.
Before addressing the wireless question.

It's a long way back to your original parts list and there has been some alterations. So we know were we are with parts and cost, please post the link to your updated list.

I'm a bit busy at present, but I'll get the updated parts list posted as soon as possible.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Posted Image