Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP won't log on

• Please log in to reply

Leebah Petersen Bessick

Leebah Petersen Bessick

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I ran avast anti virus on my Dell pc last week. For some reason windows xp then logged me off and now I can't log on with my user and the administrator asks for a password even though there wasn't any password used for the administrator. When I click on my user it logs on then before any programmes can run it logs me off. Please give some advice I have tried starting up in safe mode, restoring factory settings, nothing works. I then bought a new dvd rom because mine is broken, now I can't load the drivers so that I can re-load windows, any other ideas, I can use the usb ports though.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeesktoGo

administrator asks for a password even though there wasn't any password used for the administrator.

It will always ask for a password but what happens if you simply leave it blank

If a user account with Admin rights was established, when Xp was set up, then the system admin account is available in Safe Mode log on or by keying Crtl Alt Delete twice at the wlecome screen if it is XP professional

XP Prof.
press Ctrl + Alt + Del twice to get to the login prompt. This is only true if you are running Windows XP Professional Edition. Windows XP Home Edition will also allow you to use this method to log on.

XP Home
Safe Mode and the acco[bleep] named Administrator

IF however there was NEVER a user account with admin rights creatred then this is the ADMIN account you have been using all the time and the one which MAY now be corruped and stopping you loading Windows.

Very unlikely you will need drivers for the new optical drive, insofar as it being available for use on boot

What is the full model of Dell
What XP Dell reinstallation discs do you have

Is it a laptop

Can you take the hard drive out connect it via usb enclosure or docking station to run chkdsk /r on another windows computer.

When you say you ran AVAST - last week was that your usual anti-virus if som presumably it has run all the time without problems

If it was not your usual AV - what prompted this action and what problems did you have related to it that caused you to run it.

Leebah Petersen Bessick

Leebah Petersen Bessick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there, to answer your questions:

1. The administrator password -

Leebah Petersen Bessick

Leebah Petersen Bessick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi There, sorry dont know what happened,

1) I tried leaving the admin password blank and enter, then it asks if I forgot my password. I also tried the word password and a few other passwords. I bought the pc second hand from a friend and he preloaded all the software on it but did not leave me any software discs.

2) It is a desktop, not sure what model. Very old though, not an upright tower.

Thank you for your help so far... I will try your suggestions, and see what happens :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I will wait to hear from you

There should be some where on the case a label bearing the details of the computer ie Dell Inspiron etc.

Can your friend enlighten you as to the password for the system admin account

If when you return you wish to try we maybe able to secure your data using a program called Puppy, which is a linux based program that runs in ram and albeit that the computer may not load windows it may well boot to Puppy

We may also be able to start again from the Recovery partition of there is one installed.