Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

inspiron n5110 overheating

• Please log in to reply

malloc

malloc

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey,
I got inspiron n5110 with extra nvidia gpu for school and little entertainment. But when I try to play games even like Mafia II or flashpoint red river my (im more than 80% sure) CPU overheats. Furthermore, CPU is 50-55C even when idle. I got it cleaned but nothing changed. I also have a cooling pad. I got games running by using throttlestop and using a smaller multiplier + reducing CPU clock through windows 7 power management. I would like to play games with normal quality, tho.
Advice please

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: malloc
Please explain what if any symptoms the notebook is having and why you are 80% sure that the CPU overheats.
Please be aware that only the high end (very expensive) notebooks can comfortably play graphic intensive/demanding games as they have more powerful video chips, power supplies to supply the chip and better cooling systems, basically the hot air in your case cannot be expelled quickly enough.

Run GPU-Z and post a screenshot of the results http://www.filehippo.../download_gpuz/
Do the same with CPU-Z http://www.cpuid.com...ns-history.html

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

I am only suggesting the free downloads and in no way suggesting that you use any other product or service at those links.

malloc

malloc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you for your time :).
I'm rather sure because case heats really up under my left palm, right where CPU should be located as far as I know.

Here are the pictures you requested:cpugpu.jpg

The multiplier under CPU has jumped from 8 to 27 when just browsing web (chrome, 7-8 tabs).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No noticeable issues there, can you do the same with HWMonitor please and again provide a screenshot http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html you have done everything spot on as to how you have tried to improve the cooling, one suggestion I have is to try removing the memory module cover and see if your cooling pad has a better affect, is the cooling pad the fan type?

See if RivaTuner helps http://www.freewaref...gram_13538.html

I asked previously what if any symptoms (other than heat) you were concerned with!

dirkdast

dirkdast

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Registered to say the same thing.

Same laptop, runs everything I throw at it in full quality in 1366x768 it just gets [bleep] hot.

Played Gotham City Impostors last night and it kept turning itself off due to over heating, played it today after buying a cooling pad and it hasn't crashed yet but...

temps.png

FYI, turning off Turbo mode stops the overheating although not sure on the impact on performance.

Edit: Opening the RAM cover made a big difference.

Edited by dirkdast, 10 April 2012 - 04:49 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: dirkdast and thank you for your input :thumbsup:

malloc

malloc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you phillpower2!
Opening the RAM cover stopped my overheating problem! :)
Guess I'll have to keep a screwdriver close by while gaming : D..

Thank you again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Glad you got it sorted malloc and thanks for the follow up :thumbsup:

Ezem

Ezem

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Please help...
I have the same dell N5110 with same specs and i have also a overheating problem while playing games... How to open RAM Cover??

dirkdast

dirkdast

• Pip
  • 2 posts
The RAM cover is opened by undoing little screw on the back and it just pops off.

Looks like this Posted Image

I wouldn't leave it off though, it exposes the RAM and makes it a lot easier to damage it.

Ezem

Ezem

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Is there any other solution without opening it??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure why opening the memory cover would have anything to do with a over heating issue. :confused:
It would be nice to see some comparison temps while playing a game and without playing games.
Also you have provided no info as to what the temperature is in the room you are playing in. What the system is sitting on while playing any games and what you have tried to resolve the issue.
I suggest trying the below and getting two different screenshots to attach to your next reply.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image