Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PF usage increases by 4Gb?

• Please log in to reply

SmonX

SmonX

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all, I've got a bit of an odd problem here. My system was running very slow so checked out my task manager to find I was using 4.44GB of PF but nothing was showing anywhere near that high in the processes tab. I've turned off the Windows updater and other unessicary programmes starting up via msconfig but it still happens, ay ideas?

System stats:
Windows XP SP3
Asrock 939A790GMH 939 Motherboard
AMDAthlon 64 3200+
PC3200 DDR 2.75BG RAM
80GB HDD

The first screen shot is right after logging in, the other two are when the PF usage jumps to 4Gb+

Attached Thumbnails

• start.jpg
  • end.jpg
  • endstats.jpg

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

Well I know it is hard to believe but that in Task manager is Not actually your page file usage.

If you look at the Commit charge Total, it is you will see the same as the reported page file usage.

It is more properly named the page file usage at possible maximum

The ACTUAL page file usage is available in the mangement console on Control panel Admin tools, Performance but you need to add the counter paging file usage.
Do you know how to do this please, if not I will of course post instructions

Then when you reply we can examine aspects of the system to see if there is anything to account for the perceived slowness

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thought I would post this for you - as many people find it hard to believe that it is NOT the ACTUAL usage

The usage of page file as reported in the task manager. Many of us beleive that the page file usage shown in the task manager is the actual usage but this is not so. The below explanation will clarify it.

PF Usage as reported in task manager in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 is actually the system commit total. This number represents potential page file usage, not actual page file usage. It is how much page file space would be used if all the private committed virtual memory in the system had to be paged out all at once.

The task manager ;what it calls "pagefile usage" is actually the system commit charge (the total number of committed pages in the system). It can grow as high as the current commit limit, which is roughly the sum of all pagefiles and RAM .

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
SmonX

You joined GeekstoGo on 5 April and asked for advice.
A reply was made the same day and since then you have not yet responded
Would you please do when you get chance.

SmonX

SmonX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi MacBoatMaster,
Thanks for the reply to my post, I ended up changing the virtual memory to No paging file, restarted then set it to System managed size, restarted and that seems to have sorted out the problem.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for posting pleased you sorted it