Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU's and RAM

• Please log in to reply

bonzo

bonzo

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I used to think I had some general knowledge about computers, little did I know.

Im in the process of upgrading my computer, namely RAM and a CPU. The reasons are mainly for gaming. My computer hasnt a chance in [bleep] of running any of the latest or future generation games and struggles running DVDs. At the moment the specs are
Gigabyte FA-7VRX (2002) <_<
IBM 7200 40 GB HDD
256 Crucial PC 2100 RAM
AMD Duron 850mhz

I also recntly brought a ATI radeon 9700 128mb graphics card which I have plugged in and seems to work.

Im looking at getting a 2.00 ghz CPU, probably an Athlon. Is this enough/too little too game away for at the least 4 years? I read in a previous post that Athlon was better im open too any suggestions, Celeron/Intel etc. Should I get more RAM or is what I have enough? im looking to not have to upgrade my computer for 4 yrs or so.Im a student and as you can guess am not loaded but am willing to spend £100 maximum.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am completely lost. Thank you. :D

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hey bonzo, welcome to GTG! <_<

You have a couple things holding your system back. CPU and memory.

I would upgrade to the fastest CPU your motherboard will support, and that fits your budget. I would guess this is probably an AMD XP 2400+. Next, think about upgrading your memory, 512mb would be recommended.