Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrade existing system

• Please log in to reply

davemar53

davemar53

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi All
I am a photographer and use Photoshop CS5 Silver Efex pro and other programs all relating to photo image manipulation,
My present system is as follows.
OP SYSTEM XP PRO SERVICE PACK 3
CPU =INTEL PENTIUM 4
RAM =2.5GB SINGLE CHANNEL166MZ
MOTHER BOARD=DELL 02Y832 MICRO PROCESSOR
GRAPHICS=M1994 D-PZ 1680X1050 @60mz 256MB GE FORCE FX5500 XFX
HARD DRIVE SEAGATE 120 GB PATA
OPTICAL DRIVES =SAMSUNG SE-S224Q USB ALLSO NEC ND-1100A
AUDIO= SOUND MAX
CASE IS A DELL DIMENSION 4600
MY ENQUIRY IS= THE SYSTEM DOES NOT SUPPORT OPEN GL ,MOST OF MY SOFTWARE REQUIRES THIS, ALLSO COULD YOU RUN YOUR EYES OVER MY SYSTEM AND RECOMMEND UPGRADES OR REPLACEMENT OF PART OR THE WHOLE SYSTEM I DO VERY LITTLE GAMING BUT WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A QUITE FAST SYSTEM FOR MY IMAGE MANIPULATION PROGRAMS.
WHAT EVER YOUR SUGGESTIONS, WILL THE CASE BE OK TO USE.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR INPUT.
REGARDS DAVE

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
In my opinion you would be better off to get a new computer running Windows 7 64bit with 8GB or more of ram, a good graphics card and a larger SATA 7200RPM hard drive or even a SSD (Solid State Drive).

The Dell has a P4 processor, but what speed?

You can try upping the ram to 4BG (only 3.2GB will be seen), install a better graphics card and replace the hard drive with a 7200RPM drive if the one you have is 5400RPM or SSD.

Better to spend that money on a new computer.

davemar53

davemar53

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi There
Thankyou for your prompt response,i was pretty sure it would pay me to build a new system,would you mind commenting on the parts i will consider for the new system it doesnt have to be a rocket ship but i am sure it will be faster than my existing kit.
ASUS P8P67 MOTHER BOARD =1155 SOCKET
PROCESSOR=INTELCOREI52500K
DDR3 MEMORY (can i load 8 gig on this board)
GRAPHICS CARD =ATI HD5770 (does this card have open GL for the current imaging progs)
All the other items could be added,its the basic nuts and bolts of the system as mentioned.
Thanks once again
Regards Dave

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I think you would do much better in our System Building and Upgrading forum. This one is for Windows Operating System problems and the hardware geeks may not hang out here.

I'm not a hardware type, software is my forte. If you want I can have this thread moved for you, though I think you would do better to start a new thread using your last post as the starting point.

davemar53

davemar53

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi There
Thanks for your advices,will do as you say,thanks for your time Dave

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi davemar53

Just to add to what Ztruker has suggested, when you start a new topic on the system building and upgrading forum please include your maximum budget and whether you have parts already that can be used with the build, OS, keyboard, mouse, speakers etc.