Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Web site software?

• Please log in to reply

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

Formerly known as "Crafty_Girl"

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
Howdy all !

I have Trellix Website Builder on my computer... It came with the HP scanner software.

But now finding out after already building up my website from my puter this is what was stated online:

At one time several companies provided free versions of Trellix Web to their customers in return for that customer's Web hosting business. Subsequently, the companies that provided those free copies in most cases moved to an online Web site builder, powered by a newer Trellix product called Trellix Web Express. As a consequence, the free copy of Trellix Web that you received with your computer is probably no longer functional.

:tazz:

But I am looking for a program/software that is in the same as this was... I dont have to use the html. codes and etc that I know NOTHING about... Which totally confuses me as well.

So, does anyone know of a good website building software that does not use codes?

Thanks!

;)

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
hi Resident_Blonde

I use a text editor and a web browser most of the time, I also like 1st Page but it still reguires coding ability.

I'm not sure what features Trellix Website Builder had since I've never used it. Checl out Nvu . It reminds me of Netscape's Composer. Also I recently found out about HTML Gate, and it looks real cool. Haven't tried it yet tho.

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
HTMLGate FREE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most efficient and powerful web-editor, whether you're an experienced web professional or just a novice starting with your first web site, it is the complete set of features and tools you need to design, build and publish web sites in less time and with great results!

Advanced coding features with syntax support enables you to quickly and instantly create, edit and publish HTML 4, XHTML 2, JavaScript 1.2, VBScript, DHTML, CSS 2.0, PHP 5, ASP, XML, JSP, SSI, WML 1.1, HDML 3.0, SMIL, PERL, SQL and WebTV pages.

The FastEdit (WYSIWYG) takes you one further step into better design and the W3's HTML Tidy helps you to easily check and reformat your web-documents after the W3 standard.

The TaskPanel includes 7 different code libraries, tag inspector, project manager, 2 file browser, HTML parser and other useful task tools.

Nothing less than 100 script samples including DHTML, JavaScript and VBScripts.

Other features includes FTP, ToDo Manager, HTML compressor, image effects, image converters, GIF animator, GIF SizeOptimizer and many other exciting features and tools.

Finally customize the interface after your mood with 8 new XP themes and change the editor preferences after your needs.

What's New

Please notice:
There will be no further support for HTMLGate since my plan is to start rewrite it as soon as possible.

See, I read all of that, and still dont know if it uses HTML coding...

Just think of the dumbest person, and this is who your dealing with when it comes to puters...

I just want to basically "copy paste" like the Trellix Web Design did... They have it out, but threw a different company and different name "www.globescape.com"...But wanted to check on others and there pricing to for comparison...

I will check out the others...

Thanks... Keep me in touch if you find anything else... I dont want to go threw a web designer, cost to much MONEY !!! LOL

:tazz:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Checl out  Nvu . It reminds me of Netscape's Composer.

NVU has a lot of problems but it is a good recommendation by Starhawk for new beginners. I have been following the forums, received all the info and developer's lists for NVU. They are getting there, but if you don't try anything fancy, NVU is great. I would recommend using a separate FTP like SmartFTP to upload your files. NVU has a problem using its own upload engine. Oh, it uploads your files ok, but has a habit of putting your image files in the wrong folder plus other quirks.

You can probably Google for other free WYSIWYG Editors or try a trial version of some good ones like DreamWeaver.

If you are going to start your own site, you might want to get some books on HTML coding, like Paul McFedries "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Creating a Web Page & Blog". They also have a great group that you can sign up for to get extra help with ANY question concerning web design. It's the CIGHTML Group if you are interested.

I bought some great books from amazon.com at very reasonable costs. Many, many used books under $10.

WYSIWYG Editors are great, but somewhere along the line you need to learn the coding. The Web, she's achanging. :tazz:

Ron

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Thanks Major Payne for the advice.

Nvu is indeed a good program, easy to use and it doesn't put a lot of garbage in the Code, unlike some WYSIWYG Editors. It's open source code, a source forge project I believe, so hopefully the bugs will be worked out soon. I was unaware of

NVU has a problem using its own upload engine. Oh, it uploads your files ok, but has a habit of putting your image files in the wrong folder plus other quirks.

as I just use HTML for my own notes (ie locally). Not surprised tho. Just wondering if you have reported the bugs, see http://www.nvu.com/support.html. It might help the programmers fix it, tho they prob already know. I also tried Amaya, also open source but it seemed really buggy. :tazz: That's too bad because I like the features it is supposed to have.

DreamWeaver is of course the industry standard. Cost is absurd tho. :help: I've tried most free and trial HTML editors and NVU is about the best I can find for ease of use, clean code, et al. 1st Page I like the best, but it's not really WYSIWYG. Also AVG seems to think some Javascript that comes with it is viral. It's not, and it's a known problem. AVG may have fixed that but I just deleted the files last year so not sure.

I'm gonna download HTMLGate eventually and see what I think. It should be WYSIWYG, but some claim that and aren't. Actually Open Office does an OK job from what I've saw, but never used it much for that, it's too hard on these low memory machines I use.

Anyway if any one else has any other ideas love ta hear. ;)

cobhcf

cobhcf

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Dreamweaver is the best.

Cheers!
Kumar

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Dreamweaver! Definitley. Not only can you design it like a word processor, but you can flick between html and the design. Therefore you can learn html at the same time!

ShogunWarrior

ShogunWarrior

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Come on, HTML is so easy you can't call it a language!
I know learning any new language is a bit daunting until you know something about it but once you do a tutorial or two you'll be flying.
Programming well and getting the result you want are different things but they come with time. If you learn HTML now you'll be glad you did in a while.

-SW

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
Yes Dreamweaver is what I use. Favorite function is the built in FTP.

Everone should use Notepad atleast once!!!!

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
Hi again everyone :help:

StarHawk,
I checked out HTML Gate and it uses HTML coding :help:

Also, I typed "Dreamweaver" in my search bar, but it looks like things about music is coming up for this type of item... dunno?? ;)

But I think I'm going to be stuck with what program I have found. I would like to learn about HTML coding, but I know I would have to learn it as a dummy method.

I dont know guys... Just when it comes to puters, I'm a total blonde at it.. But with my hands, :tazz: Look out guys, I'll run circles around ya :help: lol

Yeah, just when I looked at the HTMLGate, omg... I could have pulled my hair out just look'n at all the codes in the picture view..

And also, on some of the cost for the programs that you mentioned is a bit pricey... So the 60+ for the program I'm look'n at is better than 100+

I just want to say thanks for all your wonderful help... I just dont have time right now to learn coding... But when I do, I know where to go for help :tazz:

OH!!! And Ron, what did you mean by:

but somewhere along the line you need to learn the coding. The Web, she's achanging

Why I'm asking, lets say I go with this website building program that dont use HTML codes... And then I place it on the web... The web changes, then could that cause problems for sites that dont use codes?

:help:

Advertisements

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
OMG !!!!!!

I think I found the actual DreamWeaver software...

Dreamweaver 2004 -$239.99

:tazz: ROFTLMAO :help: Your nuts... ;)

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Worth every penny/cent!

ShogunWarrior

ShogunWarrior

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Unfortunately if you want it you pay for it.
in my opinion the most valuable way is to learn HTML the good ol' way.
You could also search google for "WYSIWYG editor" or "WYSIWYG web builder" that kind of thing. WYSIWYG stands for What You See Is What You Get.

-SW

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
You could always use frontpage, assuming you've bought the right version of office!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

OMG !!!!!!

I think I found the actual DreamWeaver software...
:tazz:  ROFTLMAO  ;)  Your nuts...  ;)

View Post

It's a "dream" software, but I'm like you...way outside what I can afford. I use my little ole Matrix Y2K Editor and do it by hand. Sometimes I try NVU again, but even tho all the bugs are being reported, they keep coming out with another version that doesn't fix the important things. Plus, too many complaints that NVU is a WYSIWYG Editor but is not easy to use for beginners. They're right about that. When the developers e-mail how to do something, you would never know from using NVU that that was how it was suppose to be done. Too many steps for the simplest things.

As for the web achanging, there will come a day when all browsers are not as tolerant of the sloppy coding that is being parsed today. I'm behind in moving my own pages up to XHTML and no telling what they will have by the time I get around to doing them. :tazz:
Total Flash seems to be the rage on some sites today.

Ron