Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"The connection has timed out" - For one site only!

• Please log in to reply

SiNiX_FroMHe11_

SiNiX_FroMHe11_

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello geeks2go!

First off, let me just say that I was sooo happy to see that you guys are still here! A looong time ago I had asked for advice on these forums and you all were soo helpful! I honestly hate to ask for free advice, but out of desperation (as I had done all those years before) I found myself having to ask for your time once more :( If anyone is willing to help I will be forever grateful!!

So.. As the title suggests, I am having problems accessing a particular website. This website is actually a forum (IPB Board) which I moderate - But as of recently I have found myself unable to use this website. Knowing it was working for my friends, my first instinct was to diagnose the problem and so I've opened as many websites as I could to see if I had a Firewall somewhere restricting me, however they all worked fine. Next I move on to one of the 4 computers we have on our network and tried to access the website again - To no avail. After I failed accessing the website using all the Computers and gadgets I have in the house (Smart phone and a tablet - All devices connected to the same router), I had a hunch it was my IP that was being blocked. So I tried used an online IP mask and the website loaded fine! Well almost, Java and SSL and cookies didn't work using this particular web proxy so I couldn't really make full use of the forums! At this point I instantly picked up the phone, dialed my ISP's number and demanded a new IP! However after several shoving me off to several departments, they finally tell me, that all though the connection I pay for (100mbps Fibre Optic cable) uses dynamic IPs, my IP only changes whenever the system dictates to! They also (supposedly) have no manual override to give you a new ip! Guess what they told me when I asked when the IP will be changed? They told me "We have no way of knowing for sure.. Could be days, could be weeks, could be months!!".. So reliable!! Amazing customer service that is!! asdhjgfhjsag.. Anywho.. You can imagine how frustrated and annoyed I was at this point. Frantically I tried my best to try and 'fix' the problem, hoping that against what the evidence suggests, the problem was not my IP. So (on my main computer) I cleared all my SSL certificates & Cookies (on all browsers). I checked that my router had the DMZ off and that all ports were open.. I checked my host file, as was suggested previously in a similar post to this on these forums and by the end of it all, i was huffing and puffing with no solution in site.. Now-

-I'm posting here, once again, hoping to get some answers. Could it really be that my IP is the problem and for some reason or another this IP is being regected by the hosting company these forums are hosted on? (I spoke to the my good friend the forum admin mind, and he checked the config files thoroughly to check that my IP was not being restricted)

-Do you by any chance have any alternative solutions for me to try?

If you need my Hijackthis! log or OTL.txt, I will post it!
I'm very much looking forward to a reply, as I am completely baffled at this point :(

Thank you in advance,
Matt.

*edit! NEW/CHANGED REQUEST!*

A HA! I have just discovered that another website, which My admin friend claims is hosted by a different company and on different server is also timing out!! Could this be a breakthrough?
The forum website is forums.minecr**tmalta.net and the website is minecr**tmalta.net .. I'm sure I'm on to something here!!

-I just used a domain online whois lookup tool and basically. The forum and the website use the same ip, Soo I guess my friend admin is an idiot.. So this leads me to change my request and instead ask the following;

Could anyone who knows some webhosting tell me what i could ask my friend to change, so that my IP doesn't time out anymore? Because clearly, he's missed something!!

Edited by SiNiX_FroMHe11_, 12 April 2012 - 06:45 PM.

Advertisements