Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Could not reconnect all network drives windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Gabriel1030

Gabriel1030

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone.
My friend has 2 computers.
One is acting like a host and the other one as a client.
Both are running Windows 7 Home premium 64bit.
Same workgroup different names: Server and Station1
When i click on network i see this:
Server
Station1

On Station1 i see the following message every time i reboot: Could not reconnect all network drives, and an X appears underneath icon.
He uses a program that is install in Server so he needs to be connected in order to work. He uninstalled the application thinking that it will fix the problem.
Now he has a bigger problem; in order to install the client, he needs to set it up from the server...but he cant connect. Please help
Let me know any extra information that you need in order for me to get help so i can help my friend find a solution. Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Tim_the_WIzard

Tim_the_WIzard

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Greetings Gabriel1030,

From your post I can gather that you networked one of the computers to share a folder over the network, probably using the "Map Network Drive" feature or another program did that for you.

Most computers are connected to a network using a dynamic IP address scheme, that is, each time you turn on your computer you may have a different internal IP address (ex. 192.168.1.101) or a different external address.
  • I found another reference to this issue here
  • What I got from it was that if you set your internet adapter to use a static IP address it "corrects" this issue
  • Problem is: when you reinstalled it did not re-create the shared drive so we dont know where it is/was.

Here's hoping something I wrote at least got you headed in the right direction. Good luck! :thumbsup:

mbond65

mbond65

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
But shouldn't the server name resolve to the correct IP even if DHCP is active ?

Anyway , are there any credentials that workstation1 needs to enter in order to view the content ?

I'm not too clued up on workgroups, have you tried adding the network drive with the IP address ?