Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Pro - Explorer crash, browser crashes

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes as you have turned off the MATS and we want to see if it is needed. If not then it can remain turned off.
Try the internet, games, videos or whatever else you normally do and especially if something you know will normally cause the crashes to happen.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 21 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

bhruss

bhruss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I used the computer a couple times, no problems but it is still running in selective start up with "Load System", "Load Start Up" and "Use Original Boot" ticked. I went back to using my old 4600 most of the time. A lot more reliable and a lot less power usage.

I would be happy with shutting the Mats off permanently. I don't use a lot of features with the computer anyway.

I have a small issue with my 4600. Every time I boot it up the "Windows Indexing" comes on, even though it is supposed to be turned off completely through "services.msc".

When I double click the "Indexing Service" inside the services.msc it returns a pop up "Configuration Manager: The specified device instance handle does not correspond to a present device"

I have been just shutting the Indexing off manually, but a fix would be nice.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To turn off indexing:
  • Open up "My Computer."
  • Right-click on your hard drive (usually "C:") and choose "Properties."
  • Uncheck the box at the bottom that reads "Allow Indexing Service to..."
  • Click OK, and files will be removed from memory. This removal may take a few minutes to complete.

bhruss

bhruss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
OK, will do on the Indexing thing.

Now, how about the Mats issue on the other system? Do I just keep running in "selective startup" or is there something else i need to do?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope just keep running it in Selective. I ran my XP and still do in selective for the past 3 years with no problems at all.