Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keyboard keys not working - T & Y keys on netbook

• Please log in to reply

ron26

ron26

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hello,

I have a netbook that was working just fine yesterday, but now is malfunctioning. I attempted to start it up and log in this morning, but it wouldn't let me. Hmm, that's odd, I haven't changed my password. Oh well, I started in Safe Mode and was able to log in as Admin and change my password.

Now I realize why I couldn't log in - the "t" and "y" keys are not working. My password contained a "t", thus it wouldn't work.

Okay, now I can log in and get the computer running. But in Word they "t" and "y" still don't work.

Now the odd thing - my former password and the new one BOTH have a "t" in them - so the "t" key works for logging in, but not for word processing?

As I said, everything was fine last night when I shut it down. Wasn't drop, hit, or had anything spilled on it.

Running Windows XP, it's a year old Dell Inspiron Mini netbook.

One other odd thing I've noticed - I use Digital Dropbox for storage. It generally just runs in the background/unnoticed. Now I keep getting a message about connecting to it, what type of proxy server am I using, etc. Not sure if it is related, but I noticed that.

Anyway, the main issue is the face that my T & Y keys don't work! The numbers 4, 5, 6 right above them work, again leading me to believe it wasn't a spill/hit/knock to that part of the keyboard. (I haven't spilled anything on it, but I do have cats who've been known to walk on the desk. Wet paws?)

Thank you!

Advertisements

ron26

ron26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Uh, did I post this in the wrong subforum?

ron26

ron26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Still nobody with any feedback?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hi . If a few keys stopped working on your laptop keyboard, maybe its time to change them, i had a few bad keys and i ordered for new keys from Laptopkey
They have great service and a reasonable price.. Visit them if you need new keys , they'll surely help

It seems to be a known issue with different makes of laptops and netbooks.
All the other keys work fine correct? It may be a worn out key or keys that is the issue and not the actual connection.
Have you contacted the manufacturer to see what they suggest?

ron26

ron26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, all the other keys work fine. The odd thing is that they worked on Monday, then stopped working between when I shut it down and Tuesday morning. Weren't acting funny or anything, just died. That seems kind of weird, but maybe it's how it goes.

I did pop one of the keys off. Even pushing the little rubber button underneath by hand and with a pen point does nothing. I wonder if a new key could fix this?

I haven't called Dell. I guess that is a good idea, I just fear hours on the phone. But, I should try it.

Might not hurt to just order some new keys as well.

Thanks for the advice!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I did pop one of the keys off. Even pushing the little rubber button underneath by hand and with a pen point does nothing. I wonder if a new key could fix this?

In this case I don't think it will help either.

I haven't called Dell. I guess that is a good idea, I just fear hours on the phone. But, I should try it.

True but if may be a easy fix and you may end up in the worse case scenario replacing the keyboard.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 27 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

ron26

ron26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Thanks for asking. Nope, fixed it - had to replace the entire keyboard, but thankfully it wasn't too costly.

Thanks for you help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep keyboards are not that expensive depending on what you get. I am glad you got it corrected so easily and with that I would like to say Congratulations ron26. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :thumbsup: :ph34r:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible