Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Auto. Update doesn't always work?

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Running Belarc Advisor it told me of 4 critical Windows updates, namely KB2653956, 2656368, 2656369 and 2675157.
Going to Windows Update it indicated these plus one more KB890830 (be that as it may).
However it also stated that Automatic Update is On (as always) so how is it that I have never been informed that these updates were ready (as usual) to be downloaded and installed? Is it that Auto Update does not always work? Running Windows Update on another XP Pro computer I use on the same ISP, same router, indicated no updates needed.
Any advice please.

OS XP Home

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
There doesn't seem to be any "normal". Most of the time it works fine, but some times it doesn't. There is a good article here: Automatic Updates - Black Viper. It lists the other services Automatic Updates depends on. It also says 3AM is the default time it checks for updates but if the computer is not on at that time, it checks at the next boot.

Let it go for a week or so and see if you are ever notified about the updates.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks for your response.

Same thing happened on another XP computer of mine. No update icon in system tray but running Windows Update I got 14 of them! However 7 of them failed to install. Now I have a permanent update icon in system tray indicating those failed 7. About 3 of them are for MS Office which I don't have but I do have the Office Powerpoint viewer and the Office Word viewer.

In the Windows Update FAQs of course there is no mention of this problem. I'm not using any computer for a few weeks so I'll try again then.