Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop becomes very slow when run on Battery

• Please log in to reply

rahulsampath

rahulsampath

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,
I'm new to this forum and this is my first post...
I am having a serious problem with my laptop.My laptop works perfectly when it is plugged in, but when it runs on battery,after about 5 mins,it becomes very slow(even refreshing takes about 10 secs). The CPU spikes to 100% and my laptop becomes very hot(sometimes my laptop shutdown automatically to avoid overheating).I have two batteries this happens with both batteries. When it is plugged in,it immediately becomes normal. I dont know what the problem is,please help me.

Here are my specs.
HP DV6tse 3000CTO
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit)
Intel Core i5 540m @ 2.53 GHz
4 GB RAM
ATI Radeon Mobility 5650 (Switchable Graphics)

It was bought in July,2010

Thankyou

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi rahulsampath! Welcome to G2G!

To help determine whether it is a laptop hardware or Windows settings issue, do the following:
  • Shut down your computer if it is already on.
  • Unplug the power cord from it and turn it on. (While it is turning on, and before Windows starts to load, hit the F10 key about once every second until you get into the BIOS/Setup Utility.
  • Once there, don't touch anything, but rather just monitor the laptop, and if you feel it getting very hot, turn it off.
Post back whether it still got hot or not and we can go from there.

Edited by Fenor, 20 April 2012 - 11:56 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If it still gets hot, then there is a BIOS update that you should apply, which is supposed to 'Provides enhanced thermal management' according to the HP support page, which may help your situation.

You can find the BIOS update I am referring to HERE.

Edited by Fenor, 20 April 2012 - 12:00 PM.

rahulsampath

rahulsampath

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the help.
I tried going to BIOS setup on battery, again my laptop was getting heated up. My laptop is currently running the BIOS version you have mentioned.

I think this problem started last year around November and when I checked the date of my BIOS update,it was updated in November. Many HP users have reported this problem, will it be due to this update?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you suspect the BIOS version try to install the older one. In the downloads at HP site you are given the option to download the latest or the previous version. Give it a try.

rahulsampath

rahulsampath

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried the old BIOS, but it makes my laptop even more slower than earlier. When I checked with HWmonitor my CPU temp was around 103 C.
I cant find the reason why it is behaving like this. When my laptop is plugged in everything comes back to normal immediately.

Please help me

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
with the older BIOS version, running on batteries: do you still have CPU usage of 100%? What is the usage when plugged?

Can you hear the cooling fan running when the computer is hot (while running on batteries). Does it sound differently when plugged?

Are you sure that your two batteries are in good condition?

When you run on batteries, are there any processes in Task Manager which do not show when the computer is plugged? please open Task Manager > processes, do not touch any key for a moment and report System Idle Process (the last item in the table) when on batteries (and hot) and when plugged.