Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

are these specs compatible?

• Please log in to reply

CIueIess

CIueIess

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So I went on CyberPower to look for a nice first gaming computer, but also allows for portability. I am aware that desktops are the way to go for these investments, but my interests are more towards laptops. If I really had to, I guess I wouldn't mind a desktop, but anyways... I was just wondering if these specs would work together and with the laptop I am getting. Also, if you know a thing or two about CyberPower and could clue me in on them, that would be great!

Xplorer X7-8100 Gaming Notebook Specs:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM Mobile Processor 2.20 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.10 GHz
Motherboard: Intel HM77 Chipset Mainboard
Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1333 SODIMM Memory [+32] (Corsair or Major Brand)
Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 670M 1.5GB PCIe Video
Hard Drive: 750GB 7200RPM SATA300 Hard Drive [+49]
Optical Drive: 8X DVD±R/RW/4X + DL Super-Multi Drive (MS1762)
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Professional [+31] (64-bit Edition)
Office Suite: Microsoft® Office® 2010 Home and Student (Word, Excel, PowerPoint + OneNote) [+105]
Gaming Gear: Thermaltake Massive23 LX Notebook Cooler w/ 230mm Blue LED Fan [+29]
Notebook: MSI MS1762 Gaming Notebook 17.3" FHD LED-Backlit 1920x1080 16:9 Display w/ Built-in 720p HD Webcam, HDMI Port, Li-Ion Battery, & Universal AC Adapter
Notebook Color: Xplorer X7 Gaming Notebook Cover
RAID: Non-RAID Storage
Sound: Built-in 3D Premium Surround Sound
Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: Wireless 802.11 b/g/n WiFi Card
Speakers: Built-in Stereo Speakers System
Network: Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Network Card
Keyboard: Built-in Keyboard
Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse [+5]
Bluetooth: Built-in Bluetooth
Flash Media Reader/Writer: Built-In 4in1 Media Reader
Battery: 9 cells Smart Lithium-Ion battery pack, 48.84WH
Carrying Bag: Free Deluxe Carrying Bag for 17 Inch Notebook
AC Adapter: Universal AC-DC Adapter
Video Camera: Built-in 720p HP Webcam
HDMI Output Port: Built-in HDMI Port
USB Port: Built-in 2x USB2.0 Ports + 3x USB3.0 Ports

Total Cost: $1,760

Edited by CIueIess, 21 April 2012 - 10:56 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: CIueIess

Like most things that you need to ask about you hear good and bad things about CyberPower, see http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/860355-Don-t-buy-a-Cyberpower-PC!-(My-Review)

Consider an Alienware which you can customize such as http://www.dell.com/...ienware-m17x-r4 increase the Ram to 8GB and the HDD to 750GB = $1,624.00, personally I would stick with the 500GB HDD and back up to an external HDD which is always recommended anyhow, this will get you a better notebook for less cash.

FWIW: Most freebies that are thrown in are not always good quality and you end up purchasing your own in any event.

Cooler http://www.tigerdire...4655&CatId=3486
Notebook sleeve http://accessories.u...aynote_irrank=0
Microsoft® Office® 2010 Home and Student http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832116856 or if you are eligible http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832416450

CIueIess

CIueIess

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I went through the Alienware customization and when I made the same customizations as the CyberPower computer (without the extra bag and cooler) it ended up costing $2,157.99 which is $400 more. Is that about how much more I should spend for peace of mind or is it too much?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I went through the Alienware customization and when I made the same customizations as the CyberPower computer (without the extra bag and cooler) it ended up costing $2,157.99 which is $400 more.
Can I ask what you added please as adding an additional 2GB of Ram and a larger HDD is all that is required - you do not need to add anything else and I provided alternative sources for the cooler and bag etc.

Is that about how much more I should spend for peace of mind or is it too much?
You need spend no more than the original stated $1,760

The standard specs of the Alienware http://www.dell.com/...ienware-m17x-r4 cost $1499.00 see the Tech Specs tab.

CIueIess

CIueIess

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Here's the layout of the Alienware computer:

Software & Services
PROCESSOR: 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.1GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM: Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit edit (added it to play games requiring xp)
MEMORY: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (2DIMMS) edit
HARD DRIVE: 750GB 7,200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s edit (added on to price but its the larger HDD you were talking about)
VIDEO CARD: 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M edit
LCD PANEL: 17.3-inch WideFHD 1920 x 1080 60Hz WLED edit (added it on for the 1920 x 1080 resolution)
WIRELESS CARD: Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 With Bluetooth 4.0 edit
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE: Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BR-ROM, DVD+-RW, CD-RW) edit (added it on since I don't have a blue-ray device)
My Software & Accessories
COLOR: Stealth Black with Soft Touch Finish edit
ALIENFX COLOR: Terra Green edit
PRE-INSTALLED SOFTWARE: Steam and Portal™ Factory Installed edit
PRE-INSTALLED SOFTWARE: Skype VOIP Software Application edit
GAMING MICE & CONTROLLERS: Razer Orochi Bluetooth/Wired Gaming Mouse edit (added it on because I can't game w/o a mouse)
My Accessories
WARRANTY AND SERVICE: 1 Year Basic Plan edit
SECURITY SOFTWARE: No Anti-Virus Software Selected edit
OFFICE SOFTWARE: Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2010 edit (added it because cheaper than the one you linked)
ONLINE DATA BACKUP: DataSafe 2.0 Online Backup 2GB for 1 year edit (added it because free)
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
Keyboard: English Keyboard
Documentation: Alienware Documentation
Shipping Material: Shipping Material - Black
Additional Software: Additional Software
Primary Battery: 90WHr 9-Cell Primary Battery
Standard Nameplate Trigger: Standard Nameplate
SOUND OPTIONS: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3Di with THX TruStudio Pro Software
SYSTEM COLOR: Alienware M17X R4 with Soft Touch
AUTOMATIC UPDATES: Alienware M17x 240W A/C Adapter
Adobe Reader Acrobat: SW Adobe Acrobat X Reader

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The additions you have made are rather expensive and in all honesty the extra graphics power the Alienware has comes at too higher a price to get all the specs that you require.