Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading to Windows 7 from XP... Is It Time?

• Please log in to reply

TeachPower

TeachPower

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hello. I was looking up previous topics regarding upgrading to Windows 7 and was not really finding any definitive answers. I have been perfectly happy and content with Windows XP Home Edition SP3 and have been flirting with the idea of upgrading to Windows 7. What brought me to this was I want to install and play Battlefield 3 which only runs on Windows 7. I have a nice system even by today's standards, so I ran the Microsoft's upgrade to Windows 7 app checker. It told me that most programs would be fine but there are some like K-lite's Codec Pack and such that it is unclear if there is compatability. Now I am not going to backup data, clean install Windows 7, and reinstall all programs and apps just to play one game. But if it would be better to upgrade to Windows 7 for an overall improvement and performance boost with my current hardware then I will. So can some people chime in and help me make the decision. Thank you in advance to those that give insightful and knowledgeable replies.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Go start, programs, accesories, system tools, system information.
On the screen that opens, please click edit select all, edit copy, and paste to reply

If you are not a gamer as such (I am not by the way) and are therefore not freqnetly encountering problems in this area and are content with your windows XP, then of course the only real reason to consider a change will be in April 2014 when all support for XP ends.

As from then you will no longer receive any updates.

As time progresses of course and it is evident now more and more hardware and software is not XP compatible and drivers for XP are getting harder to find, as increasingly, they are not offered.

That all said of course people are still running Windows 98.

It depends very much on what you use the computer for and what your future intentions are.

Windows 7 and I am on Professional is certainly a very smooth operation compared with some aspects of XP and the system manages resources so much better without user intervention.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have posted separately as I presume you have read the first post of mine, as I see you are monitoring the topic

There is the scan My Computer upgrade advisor and there is also the software and hardware checker
http://www.microsoft...us/default.aspx

I presume you have actually scanned it.

Also I have just noticed that one of your previous topics did NOT receive a reply and you posted

What happened to all this helpful community? This is the first time I have ever seen a post sit unattended :) . Can somebody please help?

May I apologise that the topic was missed.This does occasionally happen, due to the vast number of posts on Geeks to Go.

It is ONLY very occasional that one is missed and if you should ever encounter this again please use the Waiting Room after a clear three days without reply.
http://www.geekstogo...e-waiting-room/

Thank you and of course when you reply I will answer your specific queries regarding Windows 7 and the upgrade editions

If you receive the advice you need on the other site where you have posted the same question, may I ask that you are kind enough to still reply to the topic, even if only to say that you no longer require our advice..

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
TeachPower

It is now some ten days since you asked for advice.

Regretfully, you have not replied.

Please do reply, in future when you ask for help.
Thank you