Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

power coming on but no post and no codes

• Please log in to reply

Alysher

Alysher

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Hi all, i received a computer from a family member that is having some issues. the system hadnt been run in nearly 3 years, but it had worked when it was stored(in a dry basement. lots of dust) upon getting the system home i cleaned out the cobwebs and excess dust(compressed air does wonders) and then tried to turn it on. now the power supply came on, the fan for the processor came on, cdrom drives worked, but the hard disks didnt spin up and it did not post. if i pull the ide cable for the hard drives from the motherboard the hard drives will spin up, but still no post.

my origonal thought was that it was the mobo, but upon reciving a new one the same thing happens. no post, no beep codes. the original processor is a semprom 1.8ghz socket 754. after these problems i did try a different processor, an AMD mobile athlon 64 3700 2.4ghz. i get the same result with both processors.

my next thought is that the power supply is bad, but being as i used a laptop processor for my swap the motherboards may not recognize it.

any thoughts from any one would be appreciated

if specs are needed for the mobo(s) and actual processor part numbers please ask and ill post them.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well there a number points that come to my mind.

1. You cannot safely leave computers stored for three years. Capacitors and other components, especially on the older type systems, tend to DRY OUT.
Electrolytics do not suffer idleness well. They can cause big trouble when idle for long periods, needing periodic charging to stay "formed" and maintain the oxide layer that insulates the conducting plates. Sometimes they can be "reformed" by a slowly rising return to working voltage (see below). Even with regular use, electrolytics fail with age by drying out or leaking electrolyte following internal corrosion. If the electrolytic bulges, shows obvious loss of electrolyte, or simply can't be reformed you must replace it.

It could indeed be the PSU, the fact that the hard drive spins when the IDE cable is disconnected, does not mean that the PSU is OK. When the IDE cable is connected the voltages are different from when it is not. With only the 4 pin molex connected you are simply driving the disc motor.

2. You say Hard drives - how many

3.{quote] my origonal thought was that it was the mobo, but upon reciving a new one the same thing happens [\quote]

Do I read this correctly you have fitted a NEW or rather replacement MOTHERBOARD ?

4. With another motherboard and another processor it is absolutely pointless expecting that hard drive to boot to whatever system was installed - I do realise that you have not suggested you expected it to

5. graphics - integrated I presume?

6. To be perfectly honest although you must be the judge of the situation - I would be very hesitant to spend ANY money on the system.

7. I would try, if it has a graphics card, and integrated graphics, the integrated graphics.

8. I would try another PSU.

Alysher

Alysher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
1. figures....

2. yes 2 hard drives and 2 cdroms

3. yes replacement mobo....was tested and confermed to post

4. i actually ment post. my intention with a new mobo and processor would be to reinstall........mobo still needs to post first

5 graphics are integrated on both old and new mobo. i have an addon graphics card, but....

6 the system is going to be for the kids to get online and do facebook and such. it dont have to be powerful or even a dual core system, just as long as it is stable. and a little bit of money goes a long way with the older systems.(5 bucks for a processor, used of course, but still working!)

7 .....look at 5

8. to try another psu ill need to buy one at this point.

any thoughts about my processor swap?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If the replacement motherboard

yes replacement mobo....was tested and confermed to post

did not post in this computer, then it is back to the PSU is it not.
depending on if the ram was the ram from the original board or the ram that was in the replacement when it did post

Alysher

Alysher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
the ram i have is from original board.....but hold on, wouldn't i get some sort of error code(error beeps) if the board was operating properly...the only time i have never gotten beeps is on a bad(non working) processor.....although i do have new ram that is designed for the new mobo coming as well(new mobo is a abit kv-80)

edit: spelling and adding missing info

Edited by Alysher, 23 April 2012 - 07:07 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Is there a speaker connected, not an external speaker, a motherboard speaker or sounder, because if there is NOT you cannnot receive error beeps.

Additionally I regret to inform you, that I do not see this topic as going any where whoever replies, until you eliminate what appears to be the LIKELY cause.

As I said in my post 4

yes replacement mobo....was tested and confermed to post

If it did NOT post in this computer - then it appears it is the PSU, depending on what else was connected.

YOU only want the keyboard, mouse and monitor, externally.
Internally disconnect, both power and motherboard connections to drives both HDD and optical drives.

BE AWARE that if the PSU has failed and is a cheaper version, the output voltage may have gone HIGH, rather than failed to LOW or zero on one of the rails

Therefore if it has you will or MAY damage any component you insert.

Alysher

Alysher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
yes, i have attached a speaker(i have one i keep just for these purposes) and no post codes with no boot up really bothered me. but if the likely cause is the power supply then i will get a new one and retest.

alright then. this mostly confirms my current diagnostic. since the psu is generic i hope that i didnt damage anything. thanks for the input and topic can be closed at this point

Edited by Alysher, 23 April 2012 - 08:23 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
We do not close topics as such on Geeks to Go, they just naturally expire over time

Please let us know how it goes and good luck with GU