Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing processor

• Please log in to reply

Speedracer 64

Speedracer 64

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am wanting to upgrade my computer a little bit. I am adding 2 more gb's of ram. I am also wanting to upgrade the processor. Right now I have a Intel Celeron 450 @ 2.20 ghz. I have heard that the Celeron processor is junk. I am just looking for something to help out a little bit. I don't really have a lot of extra money to spend since I'm a college student. I have been looking online. Just don't know what to choose with so many different ones available now.

Thanks
Jason

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Speedracer 64

You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

Once we determine what MB (motherboard) you have we can look at what if any upgrades are possible.

Speedracer 64

Speedracer 64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It is a Dell desktop Inspiron 530.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The Dell Inspiron 530 was available with more than one model of MB so we need to know which one your PC has.
Please run speccy and post the results so that we can see what MB is in your PC http://www.piriform.com/speccy

NB: Just so you are aware some of the MBs were OEMs and may be difficult to upgrade.

Speedracer 64

Speedracer 64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Celeron 450 @ 2.20GHz 57 °C
Conroe-L 65nm Technology
RAM
2.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz (6-6-6-18)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0G679R (Socket 775) 40 °C
Graphics
VX2450 SERIES (1920x1080@60Hz)
1024MB GeForce 9500 GT (EVGA) 60 °C
Hard Drives
244GB Western Digital WDC WD2500AAJS-75M0A0 ATA Device (SATA) 38 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH30N ATA Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the additional details :thumbsup:
Please see the verified answer by SpeedStep @ http://en.community....t/19392474.aspx

Speedracer 64

Speedracer 64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I will check to see which motherboard I have. Would I be better in the long run to go ahead and better a new motherboard and processor instead of messing with this one.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok we will wait on the MB details.
Upgrading the MB and CPU will depend on your budget, there are also other things to consider with swapping your MB 1: Will the present Ram need replacing 2: Will you need to purchase a new Operating System licence, please see my canned speech below which is intended to ensure that people do not unknowingly break the law and no inference to any individual is implied;

Just a cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.
Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence.

Speedracer 64

Speedracer 64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Is there any way that it could be traced if someone did use their existing OS? Just wondering.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes Microsoft are able to track it.

Advertisements

Speedracer 64

Speedracer 64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
The motherboard is a G33M02

Speedracer 64

Speedracer 64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
No quad core processors. What does that give me to choose from with this motherboard?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Is this the same MB as yours http://www.foxconnch...&U=en-us0000319

Speedracer 64

Speedracer 64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I think that is it. Except that link earlier said that with the M02 motherboard I can't use a quad core processor. The M03 did work with quads. Of course mine had to be the M02

Speedracer 64

Speedracer 64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
The way I read it, I can use a dual core processor. Not sure if this is correct though. I have been told anything is better than the Celeron processor I have now.