Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ccleaner help

• Please log in to reply

greenwarrior

greenwarrior

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi geeks,
I want to empty up some space(garbage files that the PC creates) in C: and I would like to use ccleaner for that. But I am really afraid of messing up with the options. So can anyone tell me which options I shall tick and which I shall untick for a general cleanup??
Thank you in advance.

Added info:
Hi,
I heard some horror stories about ccleaner and decided not to use it.
But I learnt about a different way.
Click run and enter %temp% and delete everything there,if it doesnt allow you to delete anything over there run the command again and delete them.

Is this safe?(I mean deleting any critical files.)
and also I have a firewall installed ,if I follow this method will it affect its performance i.e. causing it to forget rules etc.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by greenwarrior, 24 April 2012 - 03:18 AM.

Advertisements

kalju24

kalju24

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi greenwarrior
Don't be afraid using CCleaner,
if you aint home with the settings use defauly.
The horror stories come when people who don't know what theire doing start ticking different settings.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Instead of using Ccleaner that can potentially damage your OS if you don't know what you are doing. Use TFC as it is only going to get rid of junk files, temp files and clean up your temp internet files. It does nothing with the registry which Ccleaner will do if you are not careful.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Background info courtesy of DonnaB Thank you

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

greenwarrior

greenwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi Rshaffer61,
Thank you for replying.
And can you please answer this??

Click run and enter %temp% and delete everything there,if it doesnt allow you to delete anything over there run the command again and delete them.

Is this safe?(I mean deleting any critical files.)
and also I have a firewall installed ,if I follow this method will it affect its performance i.e. causing it to forget rules etc.

Edited by greenwarrior, 08 May 2012 - 09:51 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First off where did you get this and why are you trying to run this when I have given you the program to use?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 8 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

mnurul

mnurul

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi
You Can tray to manually disk cleanup system as go to my computer and click right button and go property and choice disk clenup option and clean it or visit my <external link removed>