Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UNINSTALL AVIRA ANTIVIR

• Please log in to reply

ShowMe

ShowMe

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Hello. I need some advice to help a friend eliminate Avira antivirus from his computer. He has XP on his system. We followed advice from Avira web site. When we went to Add/Remove Programs, Avira did not appear on the list of programs to remove.

When we tried to follow manual removal instructions, when we got to the part where we should enter "C:\Program Files\Avira\*.* " the files did not show. We checked "Show all hidden files" in View and tried again. No luck. I could find the Avira file myself in Explorer, but do not know what to do next.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

Nathan

Nathan

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Have you tried following the instructions on this link?

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Yes - that is what I referred to in paragraph 2. We went to #2 Safe Mode from the directions.
Then #3 - "Removing Avira program files:
Start Windows Explorer with Start → (all) Programs → Accessories → Windows Explorer. Then navigate to the directory C:\Program Files\. Here, delete all existing Avira directories:
C:\Program Files\Avira\*.*"

I cannot find Avira by the above "C:\Program Files\Avira\*.*" But I can find the Avira files in Explorer.

Then what do I do in #4 to delete the files I see? Do I just highlight and type "delete"?

And then If it is deleted, I would run the registry program? Is that right?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Do you have access to that computer NOW or is it a question of me posting advice and then you coming back with another query when you have tried it on the computer.
We really need to work on it post by post at the time.

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Thanks for the quick response. No I will not be able to access his computer until tomorrow at the earliest. Let me know how I can transfer this conversation to his computer and we can continue.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
  • Well, perverse as it seems I would start by reinstalling the avira edition that you are now trying to uninstall

The uninstall will not work if the files of the AVIRA are corrupted.

Then follow the advice by rebooting of course after the install, you should always reboot to complete any installation even if it does not specifically tell you to

AND then Control Panel/Add Remove programs
    Then delete the individual files listed in the AVIRA GUIDANCE AND LASTLY THE avira REGISTRY CLEANER.

We do not like the use of registry cleaners on Geeks to Go, but the one from AVIRA only removes the Avira entries.

PLEASE do note this part, it is often missed and people report that they cannot see the files

If the Application Data folder is hidden, go to ToolsFolder OptionsView and select the option "Show hidden files and folders" or in Windows7: Show hidden files, folders and drives.

Other than that we really need to work on this when you have the computer in your possesion, simply sign into to Geeks to Go on the other compuiter.

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Again thanks - I will get back to you when I have access to friend's computer.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
ShowMe

It is now some 7 days since you said you would get back to us

How did you go on please.

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Sorry. I was waiting for friend to do what was advised. He told me today that he reformatted his computer. Thanks for the help, sorry for the delay.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for posting