Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIRELESS LAN ICS PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

snillocjnhoj

snillocjnhoj

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi

I am trying to give internet (Dial up) access to my daughter (Windows ME), through my sons (XP) machine.

I have a wireless router and a USB wireless adapter.

I have got the network working, using specified addresses for the computers.

I can get the (server)XP to dial by right clicking on the network icon in the system tray(open Gateway). However, if I launch the browser (Firefox), on the ME (client) machine, it wont link though the client machine and access the internet

Internet Connection Sharing is enabled as is the configuration in the Internet connection to allow other computers access.

Any ideas - oh yes and how exactly does the ICS work, does it sense the launch of the browser in the client machine and so do the connection?

Thanks in hope!

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I don't believe you can share internet access on a pc with a wireless connection. If you used an ethernet cable to connect to the router then connected the second machine to a second network card in the first pc (the one with ICS enabled) then you can make this work.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
It sounds like if you actually have the network working, and the XP machine is getting online, just make the default gateway on the client machine, the same as the IP address of the XP box. From the sound of your first post, you are using Static addresses on all machines? Also, point the DNS to the XP machine as well. This should work fine if your network is already happy. Please post back with results.

Greazy Mcgeezy

snillocjnhoj

snillocjnhoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi

Yes, I am using static addresses as this was the only solution to get the network to work. If I used dynamic addresses the computers would not see each other

Tried to use the IP address of the XP machine, but no good,I'm afraid.

The router is also an ADSL modem. Could this be part of the problem, I assumed I could just use the routing capability & ignore the modem until I upgrade to ADSL. Possibly any Internet action is being routed to the (unused) ADSL port on the router.

scam3r

scam3r

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Are you still having problems with this... i know how to solve your problem....

Do you have an ADSL router...? or are you connecting to broadband using the XP machine, with a USB connection into a ADSL Modem?

snillocjnhoj

snillocjnhoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi
I am not connecting to Broadband/ADSL. The router IS also an ADSL modem ,butI am using it as a switch to try and share a dial up connection.

The XP machine directly connects to the router and also has the dial up (internal modem) connection to the internet. I am trying to use ICS so the remote machine can share the connection