Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Equalizer for Soundmax soundcard, Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply

Radien

Radien

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I wasn't sure whether to post this in Windows 7, Hardware, or Applications. I decided to post it in Applications because I HOPE there is an application which can solve my problems quickly and simply.

My laptop just died and I have gotten a new desktop computer, so I have had to bust out my speakers. They're a very nice set of speakers, with a subwoofer, however... the subwoofer does not have a volume knob, nor are there bass/treble knobs anywhere on the speakers, and the default bass level is VERY high. It makes every song "boom" and causes it to be audible in the next room unless I turn it down VERY low. This is bothersome at night since there are adjacent bedrooms.

Since my speakers won't adjust this, I'm forced to have my computer preprocess it. When I listen to MP3s, I can adjust the equalizer values in my audio player program to suit. However, every equalizer I've found has been specific to the program playing the audio. I've tried opening up the Windows sound properties and the volume mixer, but it has no controls for treble/bass. It only allows me to change the levels of various devices.

My soundcard is a Soundmax Integrated Audio Device. Soundmax does not have its own website -- support is handled by the various motherboard manufacturers who ship PCs with Soundmax cards preinstalled. I use a pieced-together computer with a Dell motherboard and Pentium 4 processor. I have checked the Intel website for soundcard support, and all they offer for download are the device drivers. I tried installing those and they didn't seem to do anything, probably because it is already up to date, so I uninstalled them (didn't seem to do anything but put some readable files in a folder for the Soundmax software to reference). Even though my computer was made from older parts, all the software was freshly installed within the past few months, so it should be fairly up-to-date...Windows Update also says my audio drivers are now current, for what it's worth.

What should I be looking for next, or have I hit a brick wall here...?

Edited by Radien, 26 April 2012 - 01:55 AM.

Advertisements