Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating system not found (Broadcom PXE error?)

• Please log in to reply

Lasagna

Lasagna

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I made an account just to ask for help with this problem. Other people seem to have had this issue before but I didn't understand how to fix the problem with the steps given. I'm not very knowledgeable about computers so please be patient with me!

A few months ago (right around when Skyrim came out) my laptop would constantly blue screen and when I rebooted it I would get this message

Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v12.2.5
Copyright Broadcom
Copyright Intel
All rights reserved.

Broadcom Base code PXE-2.1 v1.1.1
Copyright Broadcom
Copyright Intel
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM.
Operating System not found.

I thought it had something to do with the fact that I modified my laptops start up sound and possibly messed something up, or the fact that I downloaded some software to try and make Skyrim run better on my laptop (which did work, but I was almost certain it's what messed up my laptop).
I used Gamebooster from iobit, do you think that's what caused the problems the first time?
Anyways, I got tired of the bluescreens and the weird Broadcom errors so I reformatted my laptop and up until now it's been working fine.
I had my laptop in hibernate mode and when I opened the lid it had that error and the fans were going crazy. I don't know how to replicate the error, when it used to happen it was just random as well. I haven't been using any new software this time.

Please someone tell me how to fix this, but in simple steps!
Thank you :)
(I'm also using Windows 7 if you need to know that?)

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that if I force shut down my laptop on the error screen and start it up again I can use it just fine, no blue screens yet though

Edited by Lasagna, 26 April 2012 - 08:24 AM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
What is the make and model # of your computer?

Other people seem to have had this issue before but I didn't understand how to fix the problem with the steps given.

Please provide a link to the steps you were trying to follow and could not understand them? Maybe we can help with that.

I would guess here, that you're trying to set the bios to "default settings"? As that's one of the recommendations for this type of error.

This problem can also be a sign of a failing Hard drive, do you hear any unusual sounds from the computer or drive? Is the computer feel warmer then usual? The blue screens you experienced before you reinstalled could also be a sign of a falling drive. or possibility that game software you were using, I would avoid installing anything like that for now.

How is the computer booting today?

Joe

Edited by zep516, 27 April 2012 - 10:37 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If I may come in to add something to what my colleague zep516 has said, there are a number of additional points, that I think you should consider

1. The Game Booster software from IOBit.
http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

This is the sort of thing you should stay well away from.
If a computer is not a gaming computer in the first place, please be assured that whatever the sales talk, no program of that sort, is going to turn it into a gaming computer.
What they do, in most cases, is to change services so that some do not run, stop some programs running at start-up etc with a view to making more ram available and lessening of processor resources.
The more invasive of these programs, may alter system settings in BIOS, to overdrive the memory and graphics.
That is Nothing short of dangerous - a laptop was never designed for gaming, that is NOT to say that you cannot play games on a laptop.

The inherent danger with laptops is overheating, caused more easily on a laptop, than on a desktop and overdriving components on a laptop is a sure way of causing overheating.
Here is what Game Booster claims
Game Booster 3 is capable of delivering the best gaming experience to you even if you have an old PC. One-click to boost PC performance is not enough, Game Booster 3 also allows you to tweak your system for top PC performance. By temporarily shutting background processes and unnecessary Windows services, cleaning RAM, and intensifying processor performance, Game Booster 3 concentrates every little system resource for gaming only.

In short, it is more capable of causing problems, than it is of EVER making a laptop into a gaming computer.

In respect of you actual error, it may be that the system is trying to boot to LAN, if it fails to find the necessary files on the hard drive to boot, it will take the next option in boot priorities

If you do as my colleague has mentioned and check the boot priorities in BIOS and ensure the first boot, is DVD/CD and the second boot HDD.
The important point is that you are not booting to LAN as the first boot option, or indeed the second if the first is DVD

My GUESS is that the hard drive is sometimes failing boot and then the boot is to LAN and that is the error message.

I would stop hibernation, change back all settings in Game Booster and forget ever using it
Check boot priority

and then I would run a chkdsk /r and a system file checker.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Lasagna

On the 26 April you joined Geeks to Go and opened your post with this

Hi, I made an account just to ask for help with this problem

Two members, one of them me, posted advice, but you NEVER replied.

Please do reply to help offered

Thank you.