Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with a PC build (NZXT Phantom, LGA 2011 socket)

• Please log in to reply

kung lao

kung lao

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Interesting. I am building something very similar. I have the red nzxt phantom along with the rampage 4 (I do plan to use most of these features and also I am addicted to ROG products). However, I don't want to go all out on the other components. I want to get a i5 2500k and a gtx 580/570 (possibly sli) and see how far I can push them. I know this seems stupid as the clear choice would be getting a cheaper mobo and better cpu and gpu but. My question is assuming a sufficient power supply, will an i5 2500k be able to handle 2 570/580 sli? I am looking for the best cpu for the lowest cost.

Also, I am not very experienced with forums so I dont know if I should start a separate thread for my topic.

Advertisements

Jakob1406

Jakob1406

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hey Lao! Welcome to the forums

Before i start let me just say that I am in no way an expert on this field. Let the pros here give you an answer before you buy anything.

The i5 2500k should be able to handle SLI 580s, and if it doesn't right out of the box there are numerous guides to overclocking it (if you want to do that).

When it comes to the forums you should make your own thread. Not that i mind you using mine, but our builds are in fact quite different. Mainly your build will be socket 1155, whereas mine will be 2011. This also means our motherboards will have different features. Making a new thread means you get the attention of the experts on that field. I'm guessing quite a lot of the users on this forums are running i5 2500Ks and 580s.

I would recommend when you make your post that you specify what kind of build this is, the parts you will be getting (including links) and the parts you already have.

I now leave the floor to Iammykyl and his expert advice.

EDIT:
Okay after some light research i got new answer for you. You might bump into problems in some games. Some games are more CPU demanding than others, so in some cases you might experience a slight bottleneck (your 580s won't operate at peak capacity because the CPU can't keep up). So yes or no on the running depends on what games you play.

Edited by Jakob1406, 24 May 2012 - 12:25 PM.

kung lao

kung lao

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for the info. I will be making my own thread as well as doing my own research.

Jakob1406

Jakob1406

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Ugh...growing very impatient

Quick question, can i run the system without the gtx 680? The processor has no integrated graphics.

I have to cash to buy the system now, but the GTX 680 is sold out, and they won't get new ones until 30th of June. My Dell Latitude is killing me here.

EDIT:

They have some GTX 680s, but not the one i picked out from EVGA. Will i be able to tell the difference between a card running 1058Mhz and one running 1006?

Edited by Jakob1406, 02 June 2012 - 10:38 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Quick question, can i run the system without the gtx 680? The processor has no integrated graphics.

No.

Will i be able to tell the difference between a card running 1058Mhz and one running 1006?

Perhaps you could if you been used to using the faster card first and then swapped in the slower card otherwise I would say not.

Jakob1406

Jakob1406

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks for a quick response!

I was expecting the answer about the system without graphics....However, I've found out that they're getting a very similar card in next week so i'm good :) we'll see if I do it or not. Not perfect timing, but it might just work.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

Jakob1406

Jakob1406

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Once again i must call on your expertise :)

The shop is getting the graphics card in tomorrow, and i'm not going to wait for it to sell out again. All i need you to do is check my parts list and tell me if there's any last minute changes you'd make (mostly compatibility).

Parts

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9vPD (refer to this one for part links)

CPU - Intel Core i7-3930k
Motherboard - ASUS Rampage IV extreme, socket 2011
GPU - EVGA Geforce GTX 680 "SC"
RAM - Corsair XMS3 1866MHz 8GB Vengeance CL9
SSD - Corsair SSD Force Series 3, 240GB 2.5"
HDD -
PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W PSU
Optical drive - Lite-On Blu-Ray Writer iHBS112
OS - Window home premium 64-bit
CPU cooler - Intel® High Performance Liquid Cooling
Case - NZXT Phantom Big Tower Black

I'd really appreciate a quick response as i want to order asap :)

Also one more thing... The screen i want is out of stock for another week, will i be able to set my pc up using my tv as a screen? Will be using HDMI cable.

Edited by Jakob1406, 05 June 2012 - 10:51 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Yes parts are all good and what a powerful machine it is you have put together :yes:
It is unbelievable when you consider it`s cost that there is no cooling system provided with the CPU :wacko:

will i be able to set my pc up using my tv as a screen? Will be using HDMI cable.

Yep as long as the beast does not scare the living daylights out of the TV :D

Jakob1406

Jakob1406

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks for the quick response :D

It is unbelievable when you consider it`s cost that there is no cooling system provided with the CPU

I know right :lol: For me it's an added bonus though, I've always wanted a liquid system since my xbox got 3 red rings...

I will be back with various info once i get it :)

I'd also like to thank you and iammykyl for all the great help you've provided :thumbsup: This is a very nice community and my only regret is not finding it sooner. Now that I've "taken" so much from it, I will try to give some advice back where i can.
Again, thank you so much.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome and we look forward to hearing from you when you are up and running, meanwhile any questions please let us know, good luck :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for keening us updated. Great to see you are at the Start Line.

Second Phillpower2 , Keep in touch and good luck.

Passionateman

Passionateman

• Pip
  • 6 posts
You probably need to get an aftermarket cooler. The intel stock cooler is quite noisy.:-\

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Had cause today to do some more research on liquid cooling for someone who insists on having it. I think you should consider a different one from the Intel solution. It appears not to be that good with all (that I could see) LC and many cheaper air coolers out performing it.

"If you're looking for a liquid cooler, Corsair's are both good options--and we'd recommend them over Intel's RTS2011LC, hands down. "
source > http://hothardware.c...?articleid=1771
Reviews, > http://www.legitrevi...ticles/cooling/

kung lao

kung lao

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I also think you should consider another cooler. Seeing that you chose that CPU, I assume you wil be OC'ing it. I got the Noctua D14 for my i7 3820. Got it on sale

http://www.tomshardw...130-19.htm1414l

However, if you fancy a watercooling solution then you should take a look at the corsair H100(huge!) or the H80(a perfect fit).

Edited by kung lao, 06 June 2012 - 06:51 PM.