Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCI slot and controller card issue

• Please log in to reply

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I’m having a few issues here, and I was wondering if anybody could help me figure this out. I have a PCI card installed (PCI I/O controller card; PCI USB 2.0 2+2 port card by Koutech) in my machine, but it’s not being detected in the device manager. It is a USB controller card installed in the only PCI slot on the mobo (others are PCIe). When I first installed the card, Windows detected it and installed the driver. It worked fine for about a week or less and then just stopped responding. So I contacted the maker of the card and they sent me a new one. I installed it today and no joy for it either. It’s not detected by Windows at all. I have updated the BIOS, so I don’t know if there could be anything going on there or not. I don’t think it’s the PCI card, but more like the PCI slot. I’ve gone into the BIOS looking for a way to enable/disable the PCI slots but there is not an option for PCI slots in the BIOS (yeah, go figure) and there is only one PCI slot on this mobo. The images attacked are pics of what I see in my device manager. Windows is not finding any updates or drivers period for the ones that are missing. How do I know which ones these are and how to update them? I haven’t installed the card in another machine yet, but I will if I really need to. I know it could be the card, but I really don’t think so. Anyway, any help with these issues is greatly appreciated.

Here's the build specs;

Windows 7 Professional
Sentey Extreme Division GS-6050 Halcon Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Eight-Core Desktop Processor
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6570 2GB (I'm not a gamer, so it's all good!)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB
COOLER MASTER GX Series 750W ATX12V v2.31 Active PFC Power Supply
Logitech X-530 70 watts RMS 5.1 Speaker System
LG Black BD-ROM Super Multi Blue with 3D Playback
LG 22X Super-Multi DVD Burner
LG Flatron 22' LCD montior
Logitech MK550 Black Wireless Ergonomic Wave Combo

Attached Thumbnails

• pci slot.jpg

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Read through this tutorial to see if it will help. > http://pcsupport.abo...de-28-error.htm

Search for the driver on your original Mobo installation disk.

This I have not used so do not know if it is possible to just select the one driver you need. If not, I would by wary of updating all drivers as it may cause more problems, > http://www.officialdrivers.com/

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Thanks iammykyl, I'll try your suggestions. Just an update note; the card itself DOES work. I tried it in my other machine and it's working just fine. That machine is also running Windows 7 64-bit. I honestly believe that it has something to do with the PCI slot on the mobo, and not the card. Also, I feel that the 2 issues; 1) the PCI card and 2) the USB controller drivers, are two separate different things. But I still want and need to fix both issues. Anyway, now I'm just talking too much.

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
One more thing, how can I tell what device the code 28 is referring too?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
AS the card will not work without a driver you will be unable to tell if there is a problem with the slot.

how can I tell what device the code 28 is referring too?

A Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller.

When in Device Manager, > search for drivers, Have you Mobo installation disk in the Optical drive and have window search in that location.
If all other methods fail, as a last resort, you can re install the Mobo drivers, Have the CD in the Optical drive > restart > boot from CD > opt to do a manual inst, > select only the drivers you need. warning, If you have updated drivers since the first installation and you re install all drives , you will revert back to the older drivers, you will then have to update the effected drivers, but only use the hardware manufacturers sites.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi,
Any results?

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Well, I've done everything that can be done on this end, so now it's time to send the mobo back to Asus for replacement. I just really hate having to tear down the system, but I guess it's come to that. At least the warranty is still good. I'll post an update once I get it back and all together again, which should be in about 2 weeks from this coming monday.

Oh and it was the USB 3.0 that need it's drivers updated, so that part is fixed. It's just the PCI slot that's not working any more, and that's why it will have to be replaced.

Edited by RiffRaffCat75, 12 May 2012 - 10:05 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update.

You will need to thoroughly clean the old TIM from both the CPU and the heat-sink plate. Only use a proprietary cleaner like this
> http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835100010 I use Isopropyl alcohol, ((from a drug store) Do not use rubbing alcohol, myths, nail varnish remover, turps.
You will need some fresh TIM. This is the one I use, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835186038

Remember to unplug from the mains and take anti static measures when working on the computer.

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Thanks for the tip. I've already got the Arctic Silver Remover & Surface Purifier set, and the Arctic Silver Thermal compound. I used it when I built the system back in Feb., so I'm good to go on that part. Thanks again and I'll update when it's back up and running again.