Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen (BSOD)

• Please log in to reply

jay012992

jay012992

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi. Recently I've been getting blue screens with a lot of different stop errors/codes and different names like "Bad_Pool_Header" and something about "IRQL..." I just now tried to start my computer again and the screen that is up right now says "A driver has overrun a stack-based buffer. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this machine" and a stop error "STOP: 0x000000F7. But like I said I've been getting a different one each time. It will not allow me to access my desktop since the blue screen comes up right when it says windows is loading files or loading windows... I just restarted it again and this blue screen says "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" with a stop error "STOP: 0x000000D1" and the below that it has "*** ACPI.sys - Address....etc". If I can I'd like to be able to try and save my data from my hard drive, or maybe if there is a program I can burn to a cd and boot from it to try and fix the error's or find out what is causing it. This has been going on for the past 2 days. In the past, I've gotten these blue screens with memory dumps and it counts down to a restart, but I was able to start windows by doing start up repair. But this time when I try that, it just goes to a blue screen as well as any other boot option like safe-mode. If you need any further details or would like me to take pictures of some of the Blue Screens, just let me know and I will do my best to provide them. Any help is appreciated it, I'd like to try and get this resolved today if possible. Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Below is the description of your big check error code you provided.

0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

So the most obvious course of action right now is the memory check.

A If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Below is the description of your big check error code you provided.

0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

So the most obvious course of action right now is the memory check.

A If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I have 2 sticks of RAM, I tried switching them out but the problem still occurred. I could still try and run that test mentioned above but I can't access my desktop or anything... Blue screen pops up on the "Loading windows..." screen or when I try "start up repair" blue screen pops up while it's saying "Loading windows files..." Also, I tried to do a factory reset using the factory partition, and sometimes I could get to where I can click on restore computer to factory settings and then it'll freeze or blue screen comes up, or sometimes it won't even make it that far. It's kinda weird...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This does not use windows to test the memory as the disc you are creating is self booting.
It will test outside of windows and before any OS is even started to load. In fact your system does not even have to have a active OS installed for this to work.
Follow the instructions for creating the bootable ISO disc and then boot with the disc in the optical drive.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

This does not use windows to test the memory as the disc you are creating is self booting.
It will test outside of windows and before any OS is even started to load. In fact your system does not even have to have a active OS installed for this to work.
Follow the instructions for creating the bootable ISO disc and then boot with the disc in the optical drive.

Just an update, current blue screen is "INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" *** STOP: 0x0000003D *** msahci.sys
Also, that CD is burning right now and then I will boot my laptop with it. I will let you know what happens after that. Just wanted to give update on blue screen.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
0x0000003D: INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED this may be a isolated error code and may not happen when you reboot again. Right now I am more concerned with the possibility of faulty memory causing the issue.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

0x0000003D: INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED this may be a isolated error code and may not happen when you reboot again. Right now I am more concerned with the possibility of faulty memory causing the issue.

Update: Ran the scan with that cd I burned. So far 2 passes 0 errors. Not sure how many of these tests will go through but at the bottom it says *****Pass complete, no errors, press Esc to exit*****

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run at least 6 passes. I'm still suspicious of the memory even though memtest is saying it is ok.
Once done I would like see you boot into safe mode.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Run at least 6 passes. I'm still suspicious of the memory even though memtest is saying it is ok.
Once done I would like see you boot into safe mode.

Scanned 6 passes 0 errors. Pressed Esc and pressed F8, selected safe mode and as it was loading safe mode it went to a blue screen and immediately restarted so I couldn't see what the error codes or anything was. After the restart, I chose start using start up repair, and now the blue screen that's showing says "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and "STOP: 0x000000D1" then below that it's "ACPI.sys"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK is this a desktop system?
If so do you have two memory modules in it?
Take one out and try to boot with just the first slot having memory in it.

Advertisements

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

OK is this a desktop system?
If so do you have two memory modules in it?
Take one out and try to boot with just the first slot having memory in it.

No this is a laptop that I've had for a few months now. It does have 2 memory modules in it. Earlier I tried taking one out and booting with the one in there and then switching them and putting the one I took out back in. Didn't make any difference and I still had the blue screens.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I was logging the BSOD's for a few minutes as I restarted my computer, wrote down all the error names/codes and what I was doing step by step. I seem to be getting more of "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". But you can take a look at the log I made. I guess if worse comes to worse I will send it into Acer for repairs since I'm still under warranty...
Attached File  BSOD Log.rtf   2.35KB   340 downloads

Update: Not sure if this could be causing it or not but I looked here http://support.acer....=1&modelId=3680 and under the BIOS tab I noticed an update released on 04/30/2012. IF this is the problem, how would I update it now?

Edited by jay012992, 12 May 2012 - 11:40 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Acer may have a built in Bios update program from within Windows.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Acer may have a built in Bios update program from within Windows.

Oh okay so it's probably already been updated right? So are there any other options I could try that could be causing these blue screens, or do you think my hard drive could have failed? If it is my hard drive, is there anyway to retrieve documents and files from it still or no?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I doubt it would auto update the bios. it is probably something you will need to do manually.
Try reading this HERE on how to update your Bios using the Winflash utlity.