Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen (BSOD)

• Please log in to reply

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

If you are booting to the cdrom then the hard drive is not being accessed at all.
It all is still pointing to a memory error since no drivers are being accessed.

So you don't think my hard drive may possibly be corrupted? Cause I do get that driver_irql blue screen... I'm still debating on sending it in for repairs or not... I kinda wanna try and save my files if I can.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The only other option is to connect the hard drive in another system as a slave drive and try to copy you data over from that.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

The only other option is to connect the hard drive in another system as a slave drive and try to copy you data over from that.

Okay, other than that there isn't really much to do right? So my best option would to send it in?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep and hope they don't format and reload the OS on you.
If you had the OS installation disk we could attempt a Repair Installation to correct everything.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Yep and hope they don't format and reload the OS on you.
If you had the OS installation disk we could attempt a Repair Installation to correct everything.

When I try to boot in safe mode I noticed that it stops at "classpnp.sys" before going to blue screen. Is this something else that could also be causing my problems?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this:

1) Power on the laptop
2) Press F12 or the key combination to enter the BIOS
3) Go to "Advanced" menu
4) Go down to "System Config"
5) Change SATA Controller from "AHCI" to "Compatibility"
6) Press F10 to save and exit

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Try this:

1) Power on the laptop
2) Press F12 or the key combination to enter the BIOS
3) Go to "Advanced" menu
4) Go down to "System Config"
5) Change SATA Controller from "AHCI" to "Compatibility"
6) Press F10 to save and exit

Same thing still... It will either blue screen/restart, or freeze. Also, one of the blue screens say "A driver has overrun a stack-based buffer. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this machine"
Also when it does the blue screen really quick and goes into a restart, I recorded it so I could see what the blue screen said, and it was the driver_irql_not_less_or_equal 0xD1 one, with the acpi.sys at the bottom. I'm guessing that's the location of where the error's are coming from... I contacted Acer and they advised me to do a system recovery, which I tried to do but still got blue screened, I tried to let them know that but they wouldn't listen and just advised me to keep trying that. So I really don't know where to turn at this point...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I'm guessing that's the location of where the error's are coming from... I contacted Acer and they advised me to do a system recovery, which I tried to do but still got blue screened, I tried to let them know that but they wouldn't listen and just advised me to keep trying that. So I really don't know where to turn at this point...

If it did a full system recovery then everything should be back like it was brand new out of the box. Now a system restore would only take it back to a date hopefully before the issue started.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

I'm guessing that's the location of where the error's are coming from... I contacted Acer and they advised me to do a system recovery, which I tried to do but still got blue screened, I tried to let them know that but they wouldn't listen and just advised me to keep trying that. So I really don't know where to turn at this point...

If it did a full system recovery then everything should be back like it was brand new out of the box. Now a system restore would only take it back to a date hopefully before the issue started.

Do you know any bootable system diagnostics utilities I can try and use?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
By system diagnostics what do you mean?
You can test the memory, hard drive, video, cou and most of the hardware but to actually test the OS itself usually that requires being in Windows to do it.
Chkdsk /r and SFC are two of those types of diagnostics.

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

As you can see it requires the OS disk to do this outside of windows.

Advertisements

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

By system diagnostics what do you mean?
You can test the memory, hard drive, video, cou and most of the hardware but to actually test the OS itself usually that requires being in Windows to do it.
Chkdsk /r and SFC are two of those types of diagnostics.

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)

• Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

As you can see it requires the OS disk to do this outside of windows.

I mean like something like these. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ or http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/. Would it hurt to try?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope it would test everything for you.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Nope it would test everything for you.

So far no luck. I was thinking though if there was a way I could just wipe my hard drive, but save my factory recovery partition that I have that came default when I bought the computer. Cause I remember a while back when I had a dell, it also had a factory recovery partition, and I burned a CD to wipe the hard drive and it let me choose what drives/partitions I wanted to wipe, and I accidentally wiped the recovery partition. I was just wondering if this was an option, I could try and then boot up with the recovery partition and restore the computer to factory settings. Would this work?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The issue isn't it that you can't get to the factory restore partition?
Now what you could do is borrow a OS installation disk of the same type that is installed and you have the reg key on the bottom of the laptop for.
Then you can theoretically wipe out the main partition and reload it using your borrowed disk.
Once done you will have to get all the drivers for your system though.
I would suggest downloading them and putting them on flash drive so when you are finished installing the OS you can then install all the original drivers from the flash drive.
Then get ready for all the Microsoft Window Updates you will have to get.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

The issue isn't it that you can't get to the factory restore partition?
Now what you could do is borrow a OS installation disk of the same type that is installed and you have the reg key on the bottom of the laptop for.
Then you can theoretically wipe out the main partition and reload it using your borrowed disk.
Once done you will have to get all the drivers for your system though.
I would suggest downloading them and putting them on flash drive so when you are finished installing the OS you can then install all the original drivers from the flash drive.
Then get ready for all the Microsoft Window Updates you will have to get.

So basically, what I can do is, wipe the main partition, but don't touch the factory restore partition, load the main partition with windows 7 again, then install all the original drivers? And I'll still have my factory restore partition saved so I could still use that? Also, can I install windows 7, then if my factory partition is saved could I just restore with that and get my drivers through that?