Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Turn off some fans?

• Please log in to reply

Andrew S

Andrew S

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a HAF-X gaming rig with almost fully loaded fans. That means 11 very large, very loud fans running at once. This doesn't bother me much except that the computer is in my room next to where I sleep, and if I want to keep it on overnight the noise is very bothersome.

So what I'm wondering is if there is a way to turn off or slow way down some of the fans if the computer is cooled down and has been idle for a while. I have a powerful Thermaltake AM cooler and the graphics cards can take care of themselves, so I estimate only 2 of the case fans are necessary to keep the computer cool while idle. Unfortunately I'm not entirely sure which of my fans are actually variable.

I tried using speedfan, but its rather cryptic.

Any help?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You could try to use one of those solutions for controlling your fans.

http://www.frozencpu...ontrollers.html

Andrew S

Andrew S

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This one looks really cool, but I would need two of them.

So before I lay down $150 for hadware are there any software solutions?

I guess I could settle for this one, but I kind of like the classy knobs and not the touch screen...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
A software solution would only work if every fan was connected directly to the motherboard instead of directly to power. Chances are they would be connected directly to power (most anyway) so you would need the fan controller.

Systemuath

Systemuath

• Pip
  • 4 posts
You can actually download speed fan to slow down the fan speed anytime you want

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

You can actually download speed fan to slow down the fan speed anytime you want

Only if the fans are connected to a controller/sensor of some sort which allows this. If the fans are plugged directly into the power supply only then this will not apply - hence my previous post #4.

Andrew S

Andrew S

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I've done some spelunking in my computer and found that fewer fans are connected to the mobo than I had thought, so I will take the suggestions to get a controller. Is that all I need?

THank you!