Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer shuts down by itself

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

About a week ago my HP laptop started shutting down by itself. (I am on Verizon Fios as of a little over a week ago). When I would restart Windows normally it would show a red light at the very right end of my HP laptop (do not know what that button is called) and then it would turn blue, So I was online again. But about every ten minutes it would power off again. I did a disc scan, a SFC and all was okay. I would generally go to System Restore when it would power down on me, but I would get the same thing, a red light then it would turn blue. But after about ten minutes it would turn red and power off again. I noticed that the computer was warm (the keyboard and where the lights are at the top of the laptop)

I had someone help me take off the cover and I blew on the fan with a hair dryer, trying to blow out any dust. That helped just a bit. But still it would power down by itself.

I took it to Office Depot yesterday and they ran all sorts of tests on it. The hard drive is good, so is the ram, and everything else. What I did was to buy a fan cooler that goes under the computer and I notice it has helped some. The computer does not feel hot but just very slightly warn. So guess the cooler pad is working. Now my computer does not power off until several hours have passed

Now I notice sometimes that the blue light on the right end of the HP laptop will turn red, but when I touch it, it will turn back to blue. Does any one know what causes this? Thank you.

Jut noticed that my computer information is old. Here is recent:

Operating System new – server roles System Model
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)
Installed: 12/12/2011 9:03:35 PM Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 1
System Serial Number: CND9311HFJ
Enclosure Type: Notebook
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.20 gigahertz AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded Board: Compal 30FC 01.99
Serial Number: CND9311HFJ
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Hewlett-Packard F.49 08/17/2009
new USB Storage Use in past 30 Days (mouse over last used for details) new Hosted Virtual Machines (mouse over name for details)
Last Used
EPSON Storage -- drive 1, rev 1.00 5/15/2012 12:25:34 PM
SanDisk SanDisk Cruzer, s/n 4859720EB950360B, rev 8.02 5/5/2012 8:52:30 PM*
USB DISK 2.0, s/n 7FB51300611D0055, rev DL07 4/21/2012 12:42:06 PM*

* Possibly used again before the reboot following this time. None discovered
Drives new – drive encryption Memory Modules c,d
500.11 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
395.97 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633M ATA Device [Optical drive]

EPSON Storage USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1
WDC WD5000BEVT-60ZAT1 [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WXE0A6904692, rev 02.01A02, SMART Status: Healthy 3838 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'SODIMM 0' has 2048 MB (serial number AD000000000000000109264750D311)
Slot 'SODIMM 1' has 2048 MB (serial number AD000000000000000109264730D4BD)
Local Drive Volumes new – volume encryption

c: (NTFS on drive 0) * 485.02 GB 393.48 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 0) 15.09 GB 2.48 GB free

Edited by FOXYGRANDMA, 15 May 2012 - 02:00 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I had someone help me take off the cover and I blew on the fan with a hair dryer, trying to blow out any dust. That helped just a bit. But still it would power down by itself.

its a heat issue so someone is going to have to dissemble the laptop and give it a proper cleaning...a local shop would be best...
NOTE a hair dryer is not a tool that should EVER be used to blow out a laptop

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Thank you Happy Rock. Hair Dryer was on cool. It was all I had but will not do it again. Would a fan problem also cause the light on the computer which is now blue (the light to the far right) but turns red frequently but if I touch it it turns back to blue?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I think the blue light indicates that your wireless is on and connected and turns red when its off...

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Thanks much Happyrock. Sory to be so long in answering. Comp USA had it for a bit and installed a new fan. Working okay now.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome and thanks for letting us know... :thumbsup: