Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista Updates Code 641 & 80070641

• Please log in to reply

Bleaufire

Bleaufire

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello all. I have been trying to use my Windows Update for all my updates and I keep getting the code 641 and 80070641 back. I am running on Vista Home Premium pre-installed on my Dell Studio laptop. I also tried installing one update at a time to see if that was maybe an issue, but nothing updates/installs, whether it's all the updates or just one at a time. I'm not comfortable with changing stuff in the registry but if I have to I will. Would it just be better to re-install the operating system? See? I don't know what I'm talking about. lol. Oh, I did run the Windows Fix It program. It said it fixed what was not working but my updates are still not updating. There was a mention of "accepting license terms..." I don't know how to access that because everytime I retry to update I get the same codes and nothing there that allows me to "accept" anything. Uggg. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much and take care.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Bleaufire ... :wave: ..:welcome:

Fix the problem with Microsoft Windows Update that is not working
go here ...click on the green run now button

Bleaufire

Bleaufire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Trusted. I already did that though and it said that all was fixed after I ran the program. So I went to the windows update to try the update again and no go. Still a fail all around. :confused:

deaxwylviajw

deaxwylviajw

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. I've been experiencing the same problem with my Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 and so far what method worked for me is method three here. It only works temporary though, I guess, because I reencountered this problem after another set of updates. It seems that I have to keep doing this whenever I update.

I hope to see a better solution.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is your date and time correct...(lower right side of screen) if not updates will fail...check it against your cell phone

Bleaufire

Bleaufire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, my time/date is correct. Thanks much! :-)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets try this Windows Update Agent next here...

Bleaufire

Bleaufire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okie dokie. I initially tried the Windows Update agent and it didn't work for me. Thought I would try it again, and still, no updates. :unsure:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
since the auto fixes aren't working your going to have to do it manually...
first backup your registry then go here and click on the let me fix it myself...
follow the instructions