Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to clean used system recently purchased

• Please log in to reply

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Downloaded, installed and ran (Almost allowed the ASK toolbar - would that be hard to remove?). Not recognizing fans?

CPUID.JPG

Looks like "Owner" may be user. Note option to change password for "Administrator" and "ASPNET." Option is greyed out for "Owner" Not really sure what the password is for Administrator or if it is blank. Also not sure why password for Owner is greyed out.

User Accounts. Administrator.JPG .

User Accounts. ASPNET.JPG

User Accounts.Owner.JPG

<LI>Click Change the name to change the name that appears on the Welcome screen for the account.

Not sure I understood this instruction. Please advise.

Edited by joseph456, 28 May 2012 - 06:56 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The ASP account is established by the system when net frameworks are installed, it is not used and do not change anything.

The account Administrator is the system admin account.
The account name Owner is a user account with admin rights.

SO proceed as here
To open the User Accounts tool, open Control Panel from the Start menu, and then double click User Accounts.

To Create a New User Account
  • Click Create a new account in the Pick a task list box.
  • Type the name that you want to use for the account, and then click Next.
  • Select the desired account type, and then click Create Account.
To Make Changes to an Account

• Click Change an account in the Pick a task list box.
  • Click the account that you want to change.
  • Select the item that you would like to change:
  • Click Change the name to change the name that appears on the Welcome screen for the account.
  • Click Change the picture to change the picture that is used to represent the user account. You can use any image file on the computer for the user's picture.
  • Click Change the account type to change the account type to increase or decrease the user's rights on the computer.
  • Click Create/change the password to create or change the password for the user and create or change the password hint.
  • Click Delete the account to delete the user account from the computer. When you delete the account, you are given the option to save the user's files on the computer.

Note: You can not delete the account for a user that is currently logged on to the computer

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The temps seem OK, generally at least those that are shown,, check them in the BIOS setup that is F2 normally on boot, also as it is a laptop and of some age, check that all vents on the case are clear of any dust.
Here is the user manual
http://support.gatew...ile/9528976.pdf

see page 11 and 16 for the fan vents to check for dust build up.
Dismantling a laptop to clean the fan etc is not a task to be undertaken lightly.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Thanks for adding the User Manual! This will be helpful. I usually vacuum the vents and the keyboard and a section underneath where the fans are.

User Accounts - I was able to locate the User Accounts you referred to. Can I be sure this is a user account even though it says "Computer Administrator?" User Accounts.JPG

Administrator - Regarding my previous entry regarding Administrator there is an option to reset the password but is there any way to tell if there is one or if it is blank. I do not want to set one but want to make sure I know what it is if there is one. I still have an option to contact previous owner if necessary. Is there any way to confirm that it is in fact blank?

Programs Received With Computer - These are some programs that were included with the computer I am unfamiliar with. Any of these I need to keep? I am not sure what they are for.

Detailed by "Belarc Advisor"

ıı i MediaInfo
ıı i Microsoft ® Windows Script Host Version 5.7.0.18066
i Microsoft Corporation - Messenger Version 4.7.3001
i Microsoft Corporation - Silverlight Plug-In Version
i Microsoft Corporation - Windows Movie Maker Version
i Microsoft Corporation - Windows® NetMeeting® Version
i Microsoft® Silverlight Version 5.1.10411.0
i MONOGRAM GraphStudio Version 0.3.2.0
i MONOGRAM Multimedia, s.r.o. - DSConfig Version
ıı i MPC-HC Team - Media Player Classic - Home Cinema
Version 1, 5, 3, 4003
i Nero AG - Cover Designer Version 4.4.23.100
i Nero BackItUp Version 4.2.6.100
i Nero BurnRights Version 3, 4, 20, 100
i Nero ControlCenter Version 4,4,18,125
i Nero DiscSpeed Version 5, 4, 25, 100
i Nero DriveSpeed Version 4, 4, 18, 100
ıı i Nero Express Version 9, 4, 44, 100
i Nero InfoTool Version 6, 4, 22, 100
i Nero Online-Upgrade Version 1,10,6,3
ıı i Nero ShowTime Version 5.4.27.100
ııı i Nero StartSmart Version 9.4.40.100
i Nero Vision Version 6,4,20,100
i NTREGOPT
i Setup/Uninstall
i StatsReader Version 2, 1, 0, 0
i Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Java™ Platform SE 6 U32
Version 6.0.320.5
ı i Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Java™ Platform SE Auto
Updater 2 0 Version 2.0.7.1
ıı i VideoLAN - VLC media player Version 2,0,1,0

also as it is a laptop and of some age,

This is from the program SpeedFan. Can I count on this report for reliability of the harddrive?

Your hard disk is a IC25N040ATMR04-0 with firmware MO2OAD4A.
The average temperature for this hard disk model is 39°C (min=28°C max=50°C) and yours is 41°C.

Attribute Current Raw
Raw Read Error Rate 100 000000000000
Throughput Performance 100 000000000000
Spin Up Time 212 000900000000
Start/Stop Count 99 000000000A32
Reallocated Sector Count 100 000000000000
Seek Error Rate 100 000000000000
Seek Time Performance 100 000000000000
Power On Hours Count 84 000000001C7D
Spin Retry Count 100 000000000000
Power Cycle Count 99 000000000A06
GSense Error Rate 100 000000000000
Power Off Retract Count 99 0000000000ED
Load Cycle Count 78 00000003687D
Reallocated Event Count 100 000000000004
Current Pending Sector 100 000000000000
Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count 100 000000000000
Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate 200 000000000000

All of the attributes of your hard disk have normal values. This is good.

The overall fitness for this drive is 90%.
The overall performance for this drive is 90%.

Thanks for your help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Lets deal with the account issue first please.
Here is an image of the accounts on one of my computer which is a dual boot with 7 and XP

The XP accounts from Control panel User accounts.

That is the image with the system admin account included, accessed by keying Crtl Alt Delete twice at welcome screen and then in the account name typing administrator and as I said the password unless the previous owner has set one is BLANK in otherwords do not type anything.

Here is the screenshot as it is normally without the system account enabled

so the user account with admin rights is on the first screenshot and is password protected and my account name is Malcolm
The system admin account on the first screenshot is Administrator and is not password protected.

AND as I said you should NOT use the system account on a usual login procedure for the reasons I outlined.

I do not now, completely appreciate what you are asking me.
YOU key Ctrl Alt Delete twice as explained, you type the word Administrator in the top box.
You leave the second box password blank

You enter windows.

You go Control Panel User Accounts, you should see the image I have sent in the first screenshot. This will be as your screnshot with the addition of the Admin account - that is the System admin account.

You then change the name of the account titled Owner., to whatever you wish. You then check that all is OK.

Althought the log on name wil be changed the acutal account name will remain the same, and can be seen in the window opened with the cmd I sent you at first
control userpasswords2

and is explained here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283111

So when you have then changed the name to whatever you wish, you then password protect it, if indeed you feel that necessary.

You can then establish another user account without admin rights and they will have their own user profile, they will NOT have access to your files and folders etc and will have limited rights.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Here's what I have done.

No matter how many times I try to restart - either from cold boot or warm boot I cannot seem to get to the Administrator Screen after trying Control Alt Delete at the Welcome Screen. I try it twice as soon as I see the screen.

Checked System Properties to verify that the operating system is Win XP Pro 2002 SP3

Update - I started the system in Safe Mode and was finally able to see Administrator account. I guess since I was able to access the password is blank? I thought I would be able to access picture I saved while in safe mode but I am not able to access it but it looks like what you posted. "Administrator" now appears in the list. Not sure how to post it (from My Pictures) since I cannot access Administrator pictures since apparently I am logged in now as a "User."

Edited by joseph456, 30 May 2012 - 05:47 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Start the computer in normal mode.
Go user accounts
establish a new account with admin rights. you do not need to allocate it a password.
reboot.
Boot into THE NEW account
Go User Accounts, change the name of the account named Owner to whatever you wish and if you wish allocate it a password.
Reboot the computer
Check that you can now access that account
Go User accounts
Delete the NEW account with admin rights that you established first on this procedure and you will be asked if you wish to also delete the files - YES
reboot the computer
Go User accounts
Establish if you so wish a user account WITHOUT admin rights anmd if you so wish allocate it a password.

Finally when you are at the logon screen if you key Ctrl Alt together and then delete TWICE you should see the log in box for the accounts and you then type the user name of the account you wish to log in with if that does not work then if you wish at sometime or NEED TO, you access the system account as I said in my post and you have now done in Safe mode

See this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305
To log on to a computer as the administrator to reset a password, try the following steps.
  • Log on as an administrator.
  • Restart the computer.
  • Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE two times, and then type the name of the administrator user account.

Note If you do not know any other administrator user account, try to type Adminstrator in the User name box.
  • In the Password box, type the administrator password, and then click OK.

Note If you do not know the administrator password, leave it blank, and then click OK.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
I was able to find the picture I saved in Safe Mode previously. In your opinion, does this mean this computer is set up properly?

Users under Safe Mode.JPG

Edited by joseph456, 30 May 2012 - 08:26 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
With respect I think we are going round this issue rather than addressing it.

If you boot in normal mode and go to the User Accounts you do NOT then see the account Administrator is that correct, if so that as I have explained to you is the system admin account established when the system was installed.

The account Owner is the user account with admin rights and you may change its name to whatever you wish and allocate it a password if you so wish.

You may then establish if you so wish a user account without admin rights for use by visitors, your children if applicable etc.

They will not then be able to change settings, install programs etc.

Of course this is all as you have seen easily circumvented by simply booting into the system admin acount. If security is important to you them allocate that account a password as well. HOWEVER ensure you do NOT stand any chance of forgetting that password, as if you do and for some reason you cannot boot into your general user account with admin rights, you then have no way of accessing the system if something goes wrong.

All of this is explained on the link I have sent and this one which explains how you may create a password reset disc.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305478

If security is NOT important to you, and by that I mean from the user point of view, eg people making changes when they do not know what they are doing, then you do not need to create these extra security measures.

However as I said do NOT use the system admin account as your general account, as if that becomes corrupted you are facing severe problems.

You DO NOT want to change the name of the account currently OWNER to administrator, as you will thyen of course have two accounts named administrator, that one and the system account.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

With respect I think we are going round this issue rather than addressing it.

With this explanation I think I finally got it.

If you boot in normal mode and go to the User Accounts you do NOT then see the account Administrator is that correct, if so that as I have explained to you is the system admin account established when the system was installed.

Correct - I do not see the administrator account

The account Owner is the user account with admin rights and you may change its name to whatever you wish and allocate it a password if you so wish.

Will leave the name as it is for now until I think of a new name and not designate a password since I (or my wife) are the only two who use the account. I initially thought this was the Administrator account but now I am clear that it is not.

All of this is explained on the link I have sent and this one which explains how you may create a password reset disc.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305478

Thanks for this tip. I did not know this option was available. It seems like the "Administrator" account which I can only see when booting in safe mode does not have a password so I think I am ok.

Thanks for your help in explaining this further

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. OK No problem

2. The report re the hard drive is good.

3. Go start, run type
msconfig
click the startup tab

send me a screenshot of the items that have a green check tick in the small box on the left please.

4. i NTREGOPT
is a registry optimizer DO NOT USE IT
DO NOT use any registry cleaner, they are unnecessary and frequently serve only to produce problems rather than benefits
ERUNT, from the same software is a registry backup program and an EXCELLENT utility.

http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/

5. Go here and if an update is offered accept it. Out of date Java is a security weakness
Once the update is installed see the instructions for the removal - uninstallation of the old java.
http://www.java.com/...d/uninstall.jsp

6. Also update Flash Player that when out of date is also a security weakness.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
3. MSConfig Attached

- Adobe Arm - Do I need this? Not sure what it does
- jusched - Not sure if needed either
- Ask Updater - Not sure why that is there. We removed when in the Malware Forum
- ctfmon - Don't know what that is
- Messenger - Would like to delete if possible
- RegWork - Also there when I rec'd this computer Also would like to delete
- Windows Search - Why would I need this?

4. NTREGOPT - Should I remove this program; ERUNT - Backup periodically checking all three boxes?

5,6. Java (Have not updated to version Java Runtime Environment 1.7.0.4 (32-bit)) and Flash (except for Beta versions) up to date. No other copies on file for Java that I can see. Updated Java through Control Panel, same with Flash Player

Edited by joseph456, 31 May 2012 - 08:34 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
signing off 0100 here in UK - will post by 2000 hrs

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry, later than I thought it would be.

1. On the startup items that are check marked.
They are
a. Adobe ARMAdobeARM.exeRelated to Adobe Optimize and enable Adobe® Flash® Player 10 and Adobe AIR for ARM Powered® devices, ranging from mobile phones to set-top boxes, mobile Internet devices, televisions, automotive platforms, personal media players and other mobile computing devices. Also related to Adobe Reader's sandbox. Note: Located in \%Program Files%\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\

So you may uncheck it, as it do not need it running at startup.

b. jusched is JAVA update, if you wish it to run automatically, leave it checked, if you would rather go to JAVA in Control Panel and check for updates yourself weekly, then uncheck it.
juschedjusched.exeChecks with Sun's Java updates site to see if newer Java versions are available. Visit http://java.sun.com or just run the Java Plug-In Control Panel

c. Microsoft Security Essentials - LEAVE IT CHECKED it needs to run at startup

d. WinPatrolWinPatrol.exeRelated to WinPatrol - "Manage Startup programs, tasks, cookies; will sniff out Worms, Trojan horses, Cookies, Adware, Spyware, Klez, Assumption and other malicious programs". Note: Located in \%Program Files%\WinPatrol\U
LEAVE IT CHECKED

2. Messenger you cannot uninstall it is part of Windows, it is not running at startup, so just leave it as is.

3. Reg Work UNINSTALL from Add/remove programs, YOU DO NOT want this on your computer.
Please stay away from any registry cleaners and that includes the registry cleaner on CCleaner.
DO NOT use them.

4. ERUNT download on the link I sent you includes NTREGOPT - just do not use the NTREGOPT funtion only the ERUNT registry backup -

5. You have Adobe AIR installed you do not need it, uninstall using Control Panel Add/Remove programs

6. Keep Auslogics defrag, ONLY use the defrag, not any of the other offers from Auslogics.
Do not simply defrag, click the arrow to the right of the defrag button and click analyse
There is no point defragging if it is less than 5% as it will if you defragged at 3% for instance be back to 3% within a few hours of use
UNINSTALL Defraggler from Piriform there is no point having both and Auslogics is the better

7. Uninstall Belarc Advisor
Hard Drive Tune
Clean Up
Cupid Hardware Monitor
Handbrake

They are not needed, if you do need to run HD Tune to check the drive, you can download it.
Although genrally speaking chkdsk /r does quite a good job.

PERSONALLY I would recommend that you uninstall CCleaner. The registry cleaning aspect of it should certainly not be used.
Even the general cleaning aspect should be used with caution, as it will delete the records of Microsoft Security Essentials and cause problems.
See this
http://answers.micro...4d-c567baf80abb

8. http://www.geekstogo...er-by-oldtimer/
This is an ideal program to use, to replace CCleaner.

9. You MAY find some tips here, in a short article I have written
http://www.geekstogo...-your-computer/

Once again sorry it was late.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Thanks for the detailed response. Will review thoroughly and report back.

As I begin the review I have a couple of questions:

Regwork - Looks like this program was installed by Staples in a user cleanup before I was sent this computer. Cannot find any evidence of program in Add/Remove programs. How do I remove this remaining trace? I have stopped using any registry cleaners per your previous recommendations.

Regarding HD Tune - I also use it to monitor computer temperature. Any benefit to that?

Should I have WinPatrol Plus remove the start up items you are referring to?